new camera for me soon.....

Ollie Jay

But which one to go for......looking for an upgrade from a fuji s5600 to a dslr but unsure on what to look out for so i put this question out to you. any advice chaps and what should i look out for? unfortunately im limited to the amount of cash i spend and unfortunately its not alot.....probably no more then 400 quid at a push. was looking into the nikon d40 but are there any others under the price i have mentioned?

Many thanks all and i look forward to hearing from you.

Ollie

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Hi Ollie .. :D

Choosing a new camera is always a problem. So many to choose from out there !! :schmoll:

Unless you already have a preference for a particular brand, the best thing I can suggest is to scan the review sites and pick up the latest mags with the new models in. You should be able to pick up a decent model within your price range.

Once you have narrowed the field down a bit I've no doubt that you'll get plenty of feedback from the guys on here .. :thumbs::thumbs:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

The D40 is a very good camera, and in some aspects outperforms the D80 (I can put a link up if you want proof of that).

Have a look through the browsing library at your local WH Smiths and try to find a mag called 'Digital SLR Camera' - £13 if you buy it, but there's a good review of many of the popular cameras in the second half.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

But which one to go for......looking for an upgrade from a fuji s5600 to a dslr but unsure on what to look out for so i put this question out to you. any advice chaps and what should i look out for? unfortunately im limited to the amount of cash i spend and unfortunately its not alot.....probably no more then 400 quid at a push. was looking into the nikon d40 but are there any others under the price i have mentioned?

Many thanks all and i look forward to hearing from you.

Ollie

Her you go Ollie;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40/

IMHO one of the best review sites, they have covered many models over the years, have a gander. They get a bit long winded and the 'techie' stuff takes some reading. However, I usually cheat and jump to the last coupe of pages first, to see 'who don it', :sneaky2: pros, cons and conclusions page :lol: In this case its page 25, yes, he does compare it in some ways with the D80.

I'm biased, a committed Nikon user for nearly 20 years. D40 is a great piece of kit, especially at less than £400 with an 18-55 lens(if you can get the 18-70 its a cracker). Nikon kit lenses are surprisingly good, out performing, by a long way, the Canon kit lens. But as I say I'm biased.

Build quality is another plus for the cheaper Nikons, they dont feel as plasticy as one would expect? Not an accolade enjoyed so much by the competition, thats what reviews have said, not me, Nikon do seem to have a build quality edge.

But in the end, you pays your money and takes your choice, which ever you choose, they all have to keep a standard, its a hard world out there in budget DSLR land :camera:

SW

Wow

thanks for taking your time to give me your replies and i have to say im kinda swaying to the d40 by the minute but will check out the mags likes been said as i have a few i brought over the last week or so sitting in front of me...lol get some good info in them but most of it goes over my head at the moment...but im learning. the only thing that annoys me when reading these mags is how good the pics are in em and bugs me that i cant do most of em with the limitations of on my fuji!! lol hence the upgrade!!

anyway had a look through the info on that link and all seems to be pretty good but one thing i ask is is it worth the extra 50-60 quid the get the d40x? i personally dont think so but if you think its worth it could you explain why as im new to this and i can afford it if needs be but if not i'll put the money to a 18 70 lens that's been mentioned if i go for the d40!

All in all thanks for the info and i'll let you know if i see another camera that catches my eye :camera:

cheers

Ollie.

Wow

anyway had a look through the info on that link and all seems to be pretty good but one thing i ask is is it worth the extra 50-60 quid the get the d40x? i personally dont think so but if you think its worth it could you explain why as im new to this and i can afford it if needs be but if not i'll put the money to a 18 70 lens that's been mentioned if i go for the d40!

All in all thanks for the info and i'll let you know if i see another camera that catches my eye :camera:

cheers

Ollie.

Well here we are again Ollie:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

Take a squint at the D40x 'who don it page' at the end!

The main big advance D40X= 10,000000mpx, over the D40 = 6,000000mpx, as I say, read the conclusion page 'very carefully' . . . a couple of times. Having just made the switch myself from 6 to 10mpx? If you never go beyond A4 prints and computer viewing and dont crop small to much, put your extra cash in the lens, that 18-70 gives a very useful 27-105mm 'Digital' zoom, I'm assuming you understand the 1.5 X factor on lenses, ref 35mm to digital sensors. If you need an explanation, I hope one of the more eloquent and knowledgeable members can explain. :blink:

SW

Well here we are again Ollie:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

Take a squint at the D40x 'who don it page' at the end!

The main big advance D40X= 10,000000mpx, over the D40 = 6,000000mpx, as I say, read the conclusion page 'very carefully' . . . a couple of times. Having just made the switch myself from 6 to 10mpx? If you never go beyond A4 prints and computer viewing and dont crop small to much, put your extra cash in the lens, that 18-70 gives a very useful 27-105mm 'Digital' zoom, I'm assuming you understand the 1.5 X factor on lenses, ref 35mm to digital sensors. If you need an explanation, I hope one of the more eloquent and knowledgeable members can explain. :blink:

SW

wooosshhhh that 1.5 x factor thingy mi jig went straight over my head lol but like i said im still learning and will look for some info on it on the net.....had a quick look at the link for the d40x and to be honest i feel i will still go for the d40 but may still change my mind.....its hard choosing your first dslr i find but with all your support im sure i will find one to suit. am not planing on printing out massive pics and a4 is probably just about my limit so 6 mpx is just about right for me to start with. will check out the sample d40 and d40x now and probably change my mind....lol

also cheers Bobj for that link....i didn't realise there was so many to choose from....will have to take some time to look through them to see if there's one thats in my price range and has good reviews as to be honest i don't have much of a clue of what im looking for as yet but am learning every day!! :thumbs:

cheers chaps

Ollie.

had a quick look at the link for the d40x and to be honest i feel i will still go for the d40 but may still change my mind.....its hard choosing your first dslr i find but with all your support im sure i will find one to suit. am not planing on printing out massive pics and a4 is probably just about my limit so 6 mpx is just about right for me to start with. will check out the sample d40 and d40x now and probably change my mind....lol

Ollie.

Hi Ollie

I'm a Nikon guy too. D40 / D40x is bound to be a good camera - one thing to watch out for is the lenses that you can use with it - a bit more limited than some of the other Nikon bodies, but not a problem.

Some lenses rely on a screw mechanism driven by the camera body itself to autofocus. As far as I know, the D40 / D40x don't 'fit' with those types of lenses (screw type), so you have to look for lenses with AF-S (Nikon) or HSM (Sigma). Not all Nikon/Sigma/Tokina/Tamron lenses will be compatible with that body.

I think there may be a handy list somewhere of lenses that do fit the D40 - only of relevance if you think that you may get a tad of "lens lust" in the future. You'll still be able to find one that fits your needs, but you may have a smaller number to choose from. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll try to dig out a list.

Whichever way you go, enjoy it. It's been the single best investment I've made in years. I'm pretty much addicted to photography now, helped along in no small way by the guys and gals on this forum.

Westie.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery