I just fell in love

chevin

This afternoon, my brother came to visit me and we had a few beers together which were most enjoyable. Eventualy he and his wife left and I decided to take my dog for a walk. However, I am diabetic and the beer had lowered my blood sugar level to the dregree that half way through the walk I realised that I was close to collapse and a coma. I just went to a house that was well secured and rang the ship's bell on the wall until the lady of the house came out. By that time I was holding onto the wall to stay upright. I had the strength to say, "Please, will you give me a spoonful of sugar?" She said nothing and went back into her home and came out with a tea spoon and a carton of sugar. I had the sugar I needed and within minutes I was well again. It seems that she had never had any experience with diabetics before and felt that my request was strange enough for it not to present a threat. She was totally astonished by the speed at which I recovered and even offered to drive me home, which was not necessary. I just can't describe my feelings for that lady at the moment. So many people would have just called the police. We hear a lot about the bastards in this world, and not enough about people like that!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Glad you had a good result but wondering why you don't keep a couple pieces of hard candy in your pocket.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Glad you had a good result but wondering why you don't keep a couple pieces of hard candy in your pocket.

Obviously I should have done, but it is easy to forget things like that after a few beers on a 36c day. Far too easy unfortunately.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Hi Chevin, Glad to read the happy ending to your tale...:):)

36dg, you lucky person you....we are just above freezing here in Scotland..and 70mph winds... :(:(

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Girlfriend was most peeved with airport security this week - took her 'sugar drinkie' off her - even though she had her 'letter from doctor' for her sharps etc on the aircraft, apparently being a diabetic is no excuse for taking over 200mls of any liquid onto an aircraft. What a load of tosh, methinks the airside shops are in cahoots with the security bods.

BTW- I've been working a lot in 'secure' premises this lately - any restriction on liquids? - ha bloody ha!

So - you popping round to see this lady 'for a spoonful of sugar' on a regular basis then Chevin ;)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Girlfriend was most peeved with airport security this week - took her 'sugar drinkie' off her - even though she had her 'letter from doctor' for her sharps etc on the aircraft, apparently being a diabetic is no excuse for taking over 200mls of any liquid onto an aircraft. What a load of tosh, methinks the airside shops are in cahoots with the security bods.

BTW- I've been working a lot in 'secure' premises this lately - any restriction on liquids? - ha bloody ha!

So - you popping round to see this lady 'for a spoonful of sugar' on a regular basis then Chevin ;)

I didn't know that about the drinks on planes, but at least there are generally plenty provided. Being as dehydration is a problem I drink a lot of orange juice when I am travelling and I find that keeps me well even in an atmosphere that dehydrates as quickly as that in a plane! I guess that was where I went wrong - sitting out under shade cloth on a hot day in about 35% RH. We drank a lot of ice cold beer and I paid the penalty. I was just thankful that lady listened to me and didn't just assume that I was drunk because I could hardly stand.

I don't think that I will be making regular calls there but I will call in again on Monday to drop off a box of chocolates for her. :thumbs:

Norrie, I think that a lot of people here would be pleased to have some cooler weather - though not as cool as yours. It has been hot since just before Christmas with a number of days over 40c and up to 46c. Most of the other days have been 30c or over. We haven't had a drop of rain in over 50 days and hardly seen a cloud. February is generally our hottest month so I am wondering just what to expect during the next few weeks.

Chevin, there are tablets you can purchase over here that come in a roll like the life savers candy. They should easily make it through customs and are handy just in case. I keep some in my camera bag and in my fanny pack. The tablets are almost pure sugar. We'll have to get you some when you are visiting.

Edited by Jan V

Chevin, there are tablets you can purchase over here that come in a roll like the life savers candy. They should easily make it through customs and are handy just in case. I keep some in my camera bag and in my fanny pack. The tablets are almost pure sugar. We'll have to get you some when you are visiting.

Thanks for that Jan. To be honest it is rarely I am without something along those lines. Yesterday was a bit of an exception. Generally when I have a beer I have a few pototo chips/crisps with it which keeps up my sugar levels. When my brother came round, I didn't have enough to put them out for both of us. We had more beer in the session than I normally have, it was hot with low humidity and it all built up on me! I will make sure that it doesn't happen while I am with you, but it won't be by not having a beer or two! ;)

There is no fool(ish diabetic) such as one who has had a drink eh?? An all too easy mistake although my one and only LOW was countered by a McDonalds!!! By gum it were GRAND!!! :lol:

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Since I don't drink alcohol, I do encounter fewer problems with my blood sugar dropping suddenly. When I'm cranky (at least Newt says I am) it's usually due to low sugar and not having eaten recently. Carbs work great. One of the kids is severely diabetic and a slice of bread does a much better job of bringing up her blood sugar than any candy or sweet ever has. The eating crisps appears to fall right in that line of thought, Chevin.

BTW, wasn't worried about your visit. Newt (mother vail) knows the signs and is quick to act when someone's blood sugar gets too low. :rolleyes: