Boat rod rests

Jim Murray

You can go to http://www.basspro.com and search for "rod holders" to see what they have available.

The Tite-Loc range is outstanding but there are less expensive versions if you prefer.

I liked the Tite-Loc ones when I didn't have my own boat and needed temporary mount ones since they are modular and as sturdy as my permanently mounted rod holders. One clamp on base will take a variety of holders.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Use the fox ones that clamp over the gunwale and you can stick a bite alarm on them ,should get a bit of a deal if you are after 4.

There are cheaper versions if you look around on the net but being able to take a alarm is handy if you are moored tightly to bridge supports,trees,concrete parts of weir pools but a waste of time without good anchor/mooring hold steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I haven't used the Titelok rod rests that Newt recommended, but I have seen them and they look really good. You can buy them in the UK from Andy Lush at The Friendly Fisherman in Tunbridge Wells. The web site page is at http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/sear...p?section=17127

Andy also used to sell (as did I before I retired) the Taylor Rod Rest that is absolutely superb. I use this myself but don't know whether it's still available. Andy did too I believe.

Be careful with very cheap models - some I've seen won't stand up to hits from big pike!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Most of the decent ones seem a bit pricey. Seem to remember looking a while back and there was a G-clamp type similar to the Fladen(black plastic tube type) but can't remember the brand. Think they were around £12.

Newt - have you seen the own brand Bass pro ones? They are cheap enough :thumbs:

Seen and used. Good for the money but I'm not sure about a large pike taking off with a bait on a tight drag. Otherwise, they do fine. I always used them with bait runner or clicker (multipliers) set to let out line without much resistance.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Most of the decent ones seem a bit pricey. Seem to remember looking a while back and there was a G-clamp type similar to the Fladen(black plastic tube type) but can't remember the brand. Think they were around £12.

Newt - have you seen the own brand Bass pro ones? They are cheap enough :thumbs:

Jim as Steve says the Taylor Engineering ones are one of (if not the best) Clamp on srtyle rests.They are however as you say not cheap! Its ok using the "Roberts" type/ones used by Newt if you use the same boat all the time as the female mount has to be screwed on to the boat.A lot of people in the UK use a variety oif boats (normally provided by the water bneing fished) so "portable" rests are handy.

Cheapest but still efective way I know is the method shown by Steven Harper in his classic "Angling afloat" (?) book. This is simply a short section of plastic drainpipe/tupe slit up one side.This can then be opened up and fitted over most gunwhales and any rod rest head screwed/glued into a hole drilled in to the side of the pipe opposite the split.If that doesnt make sense take a look at the book or say and I will post a diagram.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheapest but still efective way I know is the method shown by Steven Harper in his classic "Angling afloat" (?) book. This is simply a short section of plastic drainpipe/tupe slit up one side.This can then be opened up and fitted over most gunwhales and any rod rest head screwed/glued into a hole drilled in to the side of the pipe opposite the split.If that doesnt make sense take a look at the book or say and I will post a diagram.

Think I can picture that but don't think that will hold a rod outside the boat..? Was really looking to free up some deck space :thumbs: