pin badges worn by American TV detectives

Bluey

My missus has just sat here and said that she would like one of the pin badges as worn by a couple of the carachters on Law and Order, the detective carachter Lenny has a pin badge on his lapel that looks like a letter "D," "Mack" on CSI New York also apperently wears one similar.

They both also wear what appears to be the Amercan flag. Which we have found on another website selling commemorative regalia.

Do you happen to know what the second badge, the "D" one, is and how you can get hold of one??

In case you hadn't guessed my wife collects these sort of pin badges, she has loads of them and buys them regularly.

Finally found a picture of the badge on the carachter "Mack" from CSI New York, here it is.....................

9.jpg

Well, Newt or anyone do you know what badge it is and where one may be obtained?? Cheers.

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

No idea and from some google searching which found the same question on some 'fan' forums, no one else does either.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Oh dear, ah well never mind. Thanks ever so much for your help it's much appreciated. Looks like it might be worth e-mailing the website to see if they can help.

Another source of info, I've just suddenly thought of, could be at the collectors fair that's held at Middleton Hall at the Milton Keynes shopping centre. They have all sorts of displays and casts from various TV shows there so maybe we'll be able to pick something up from there.

Thanks for the help lads.

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

If you do get an answer, please post it here. It will probably be the first forum post with the information at any site.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well I've just emailed both CBS and NBC with the same question as to what the badges are and what they represent. Sooo it's a case of sit and wait to see if I get an answer. If not I guess it'll be a visit to the collectors fair at Milton Keynes.

One way or another I will find out what it is. It may take some time tho'

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

Further to my original posting on this subject I have now recieved an email from channel "5" giving me a very plausable answer as to the purpose of the badge worn by characters "Mack Taylor" and "Lenny Briscoe" in "CSI New York" and "Law and Order" respectively.

Here is part of the email giving the explanation...

Your Reference: VA/209070/DT (Please quote this reference in all further correspondence)

Date: 7th February 2008

Dear Steve

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

We believe that the badges worn by Detective Mac Taylor in CSI: New York and Detective Lennie Briscoe in Law & Order are “mourning badges”. These are worn by New York residents to commemorate the lives of service personnel who died in the terrorist attacks on 11th September 2001.

We hope that this information is helpful.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your interest in Five.

Yours sincerely

David

VIEWER ADVISOR

So now we know, and this would make sense as Mack Taylor lost his wife in the 9/11 attack and I believe she was an employee of the port authority.

Would that make sense Newt??

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

Indeed it would and thanks for finding the info.