Ultrabite- a challenge for you

Guest Alan Taylor

Alan

When you get your hands on some (actually, you want to avoid getting it on your hands) you'll notice that it stinks like an athletes running shoe - this is not the pheremones or anything to do with the attraction side of the product it is simply the small of the base oil that the goodies are mixed with.

Rob

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil spring hook Berriman

Can anyone tell me how to get hold of this stuff, I have a friend in Holland who wants to field test it

Guest Phil spring hook Berriman

I just tried soaking bread in sunflower and pilchard oil and putting it in a bag made of cling film and expelling as much air as poss before tying a loose not. In the bath it released flavour for quite some time. I am sure depths/metering could be adjusted for by tightening or slacking the knot or using something less compressable than bread. Trial and error but cling film is good because it will not effect the scent as would other plastic. Once the knot is tied the rest is cut off above it which leaves a neat little bag which is easy to attach.

Now I have to explain the funny smelling tide mark around the bath to the missus before i get the flash out.

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by Phil spring hook Berriman:

Can anyone tell me how to get hold of this stuff, I have a friend in Holland who wants to field test it

If thats me Phil, I have emailed them (thanks Elton) and hope to get a result soon.

I actually told them that I was interested in buying in bulk.

I have ordered a batch from Veals, that way I am not asking any favours.

I did have another thought on delivering it to the bottom, a long time ago we used to stuff cotton wool in Red Gills and soak them in any thing we thought would attract fish by smell as well as sight, I think it worked but will never be able to prove it. the cotton wool odour certainly lasted a couple of drifts.

Tight lines

Alan(nl)

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

Guest Vagabond

Originally posted by Phil spring hook Berriman:

I just tried soaking bread in sunflower and pilchard oil and putting it in a bag made of cling film and expelling as much air as poss before tying a loose not. In the bath it released flavour for quite some time.

Now I have to explain the funny smelling tide mark around the bath to the missus before i get the flash out.

Does she suspect you've been catching mermaids ? Posted Image

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by RobT:

[This message has been edited by RobT (edited 04 February 2002).]

Hi Rob,

I missed the geletine one, could you let me know how please?

I did have a couple of other ideas, one I realy liked was to wrap celotape around a bit of sponge, inject the liquid, make a couple of holes and attach to/near the hook bait. I will be trying that this week-end and the geletine if I can sort it out in time.

Tight lines

Alan(nl)

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

Hi Alan

Get some sachets of plain gelatine dissolve in warm water (as per instructions on pack) stir in Ultrabite. The dosage is upto you.

Pour the liquid gelatine / ultrabite into a film canister (or some sort on container that you can attach tp your line) pop the lid on and let it set, then just pierce a few holes in it. The gelatine dissloves giving you an excellent dispersal rate - as I mentioned the sponge cotton wool methods still wash out to fast. Try injecting high density foam such as ear defenders, these being small you may need a few.

I have spoken with a friend who has been using it for many months now (well prior to it's release) on lakes and rivers and they have found that only 4-5ml per kg of dry groundbait gives the best results - this is obviously different to salt walter but it may give you a useful starting point. They have found that higher doses certainly attract fish but they just want to shag the feeder and not eat the bait until the levels have dropped away.

Rob

At the risk of upsetting someone, am I the only one that thinks attractants are cheating?

I enjoy the hunt and using skill to catch fish, if I wanted to catch them easily I would go to a trout farm or throw in a small explosive device!

I enjoy being out there as much as landing them.

Dan

Dan - you need to move to Oregon or California. Such things (including any sort of ground bait or loose feed) are against the law there and the penalty can be a seriously stiff fine or even some jail time.

I think the folks there must agree with you completely. Posted Image