Ultrabite- a challenge for you

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by Newt:

Dan - you need to move to Oregon or California. Such things (including any sort of ground bait or loose feed) are against the law there and the penalty can be a seriously stiff fine or even some jail time.

I think the folks there must agree with you completely. Posted Image

Ground bait and loose feed against the law? i've heard of dont feed the animals but is'nt that taking it to far Newt.And i thought our Laws were a bit stiff?{Best gadgets thread}

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jangar:

Ground bait and loose feed against the law? i've heard of dont feed the animals but is'nt that taking it to far Newt.And i thought our Laws were a bit stiff?{Best gadgets thread}

jangar - I think those particular rules are stupid rather than just "a bit stiff". And the states with such regulations are in a minority - I only know of 2 of our 50. There may be a couple others but not many.

I'm sure those regulations were a "knee jerk" reaction to some situation that is long forgotten but rules have a habit of being much harder to get rid of than they were to get in the first place.

The angling regulations where I live are much more liberal and most would bring a "well who would ever want to do something like that anyway" from UK anglers. Or screams of horror and rage that there had to be such laws in the first place.

For instance, if I want to fish with jugs (floats with line & hook that are set out to drift freely on a lake) I cannot use more than 2 hooks per jug and must check the jugs at least once a day.

For instance, I couldn't shoot "rough fish" like carp with a cross bow unless I were partly disabled and had a permit. I could use a normal bow and arrows however.

For instance, if I catch "rough" fish, I must dispose of them properly and cannot leave them on the bank to rot.

For instance, there is no limit to the number of rods one angler can have out at any given time.

For instance, my set lines can have a maximum of 100 hooks, must not constitute a hazard to boats, and must be checked at least once a day.

FWIW - I don't choose to do any of the above except that I will set out a spread of jugs for catfish if I am trying to supply fish for a church picnic or something. Even then, I watch from my boat and go immediately to any jug that gets a fish on.

However, all the methods noted above are legal and I would fight against any attempt to have them declared illegal.

Thanks for that Newt.

Maybe our legal eagles can get a hold of some of fishing laws to compare our laws in the UK and yours STATESIDE.

Good luck and tight lines

Jangar

spasor:

Dan?

Cheating? Yes!! But so are fish-finders?

Paul

Damn, rumbled!! but what about polarised sun glasses? a fish finder tells you where they are it doesnt get them on the hook! What about this ultrabite stuff is it organic like the prawns?!!! :D:D

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I wonder, as Ultrabite is chemical based, what effects might it have on the rest of the Sea life. What are the effects on Shrimps, Prawns and Crabs? Does it harm plankton? If anybody knows the answers, could they post them, I for one would like to know!

Ultrabite is supposed to send fish into a feeding frenzy? Save yourself some dosh and just fish next to the guy that`s using it???????

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

ULTRABITE,

Is this the biggest con trick ever to hit the angling trade. I have been give samples to test.

Results ?? My view it will suit the tackle tarts.

Most tackle shops that purchased Ultrabite are not shifting their stock.

What do you others think. In my neck of the woods it goes by the name of Ultrashite.

But as the weather improves it may improve.

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

Originally posted by Dragonbat:

ULTRABITE,

Is this the biggest con trick ever to hit the angling trade. I have been give samples to test.

Results ?? My view it will suit the tackle tarts.

Most tackle shops that purchased Ultrabite are not shifting their stock.

What do you others think. In my neck of the woods it goes by the name of Ultrashite.

But as the weather improves it may improve.[/quote

Why do we go to the bother of designing lures that act like fish and hand tying flies to imitate their food if all we need is a bit of cottonwool soaked in some probably dodgy chemicals? (an exageration I know!) but leave the stuff alone and go back to natural baits and lures!

Dan

Keep it pure!

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

jangar:

Harrold first, you were worried about the possible effects on the enviroment (crabs, weed etc) and rightly so. I do not think there is any thing to worry about here, put one drop of dye in a full bath of water and see the results, you can't see anything of the original dye. This would be "just a drop in the Ocean" as it were.

I have to admit that my "trial" on Sunday was a total flop and it was all my fault for rushing things.

I tried 5 different methods of delivering the liquid to the bottom and non of them delivered fish. Marinating squid did not work either.

As soon as I went back to my normal bait I started catching. Frans was fishing next to me and his bait must have been within meters of mine and he had a good day with 16 cod, 2 around 20lb.

I ended up with 6, 2 on pirks at slack water and the rest on a cocktail of squid/razor fish/lug or rag worm.

Yesterday I rigged up 5 sets of gear exactly the same as I had done on the boat. This time I used some non-toxic dye from the school and dragged the bait through the clear water at the back of my house. I tried it at different speeds and the dye did not wash out of the tubes/cottonwool/earplugs that I was using.

I think that I packed the tubes too tightly and did not put big enough holes in them.

I do not think the method of fishing helped either, we put out a marker in front of the wreck and try to hold position over the wreck by using the bow thrusters, main engine, tide and rudder as well as the wind. Due to the fairly shallow water and the size of the wrecks, the wrecks are all blown up so as not to be a hazard to shipping, in consequence the wreckage is fairly well spread out over the sea bed. When fishing, we are never over the same spot for more than a few minutes at a time.

I have not given up on this by any stretch of the imagination and will be trying again as soon as the weather allows it.

I will also be trying to get a trip on a boat that anchors up to a wreck as I think this will give the best results.

Does water temperature make a difference?

I have read that during a test in the UK, one angler using Ultrabite had 63% of the fish. I do not doubt the authors word but must add that on the last small boat (10 anglers) I had 22 cod and the next highest score was 4, and this was drifting over 5 different wrecks all using the same bait!!!!!

On the big boat (48 anglers on Sunday) there were 250 cod caught, not including those put back, and most fish were caught by 15 or so anglers spread about the boat.

I have been looking for a bait additive for years now and this one looks like the best chance yet. Some unbiased results from CEFAS would be a great help.

You can all help as well. If you used it and either caught or not, your input on conditions, target species, possibly water temperature etc etc could save a lot of people a lot of time and money duplicating each others experiments.

For me its back to the drawing board until the next trip.

Tight lines all

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/