Is this strange?

steve duffy

I work at a 24/7/365/year papermill in North Wales.It is a massive site with many lakes used for water treament.During the night it is illuminated to daylight standards with huge floodlights.The birdlife seems to exist on a 24 hour rota.At any time of the night you will see them going about their business as usual.Coming off nights at 05-30am on the 2/2/08 I watched a male blackbird collect a huge beakfull of worms and fly off.Does this mean they have youngsters to feed.? I don't buy into this global warming carp etc etc so is it because the site is abnormally warm, or is it because of the 24 hour life they have to endure??

Edited by steve duffy

I also work nights not in such a well lit site as yours and i have witnessed the dawn chorus starting earlier and earlier over the last few years.

I do not believe it has a link to temperature, but i do feel that light and the effects of lighting would influence this.

PS. Paul McCartney may be able to shed some light on this. :D

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I remember reading of concern expressed about sites that are lit all night.

Apparently the birds just don't get enough sleep as their body clocks, normally triggered by the light fading at dusk and breaking at dawn, are sent awry.

see: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&i...yUK%7CcountryGB

It's not only birds, but insects and mammals are affected too, disrupting normal patterns of hunting and prey, courtship etc.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

robins do as well and theres no lights here .i'v seen our chickens come out on bright nights so perhaps its more common than you think.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Its not unusual where I live the strreetlights are like floodlights.blackbirds robins and wrens act asif it is daylight yet the finches and tits dont seem to bother

Edited by rob.imk2

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

The thing that really suprised me was the collecting of worms.Surely it would,nt have a clutch of young so early on in the year?

It could just be that the sodium lights are not bright enough to prevent the worms coming up onto the surface, but is bright enough for the birds to see. They probably can't believe their luck.

I have heard birds singinging very nearly all through the night in the summer, so they must be able to cope somehow.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.