Modern ledgering methods

MikeT

Anderoo, that's a clever looking set-up. I can see how it would offer less resistance, in theory. I'm impressed that it doesn't tangle easily- I guess that's because of the stiffness of the 15lb link line, which would tend to keep the shot a little clear of the hooklink. Doesn't it twist and entwine on fast retrieve though? I really hate getting tangles in terminal tackle, and tend to lose patience, break it off and start again. And it always happens just as the fish start to show interest. Funny that, isn't it?

No, it doesn't twist up. I keep a few made up with clips tied on the end too so I can either attach a leger or feeder. In fact the vast majority of my legering (both river and stillwater) is done with this rig. Nice and simple!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I some times tie another length of mono of around a foot in length (lighter b/s than the mainline ) and run a swivel link on it before tying it to the mainline both ends with a four turn water knot, you can attach either a weight or feeder. That way there are no swivels or extra weight the fish may feel. Also I've yet to see it tangle. You can put some loops in your line towards your hook to form a stiff rig effect.

Maybe someone else can describe the set up better than me, I'm pretty much usless at putting things into words.

I know which one i'd choose gozzer!

I don't think touch ledgering can ever be beaten for sheer excitement. Isn't that buzz the reason we all started fishing in the first place? Certainly gets the heart rate up!

James

I agree with you sometimes the old touch method is still the best and not only that you get to know when the fish bite and on the hook

David

Anderoo, that's a clever looking set-up. I can see how it would offer less resistance, in theory. I'm impressed that it doesn't tangle easily- I guess that's because of the stiffness of the 15lb link line, which would tend to keep the shot a little clear of the hooklink. Doesn't it twist and entwine on fast retrieve though? I really hate getting tangles in terminal tackle, and tend to lose patience, break it off and start again. And it always happens just as the fish start to show interest. Funny that, isn't it?

I used this type of ledger many many years ago but instead of a bead I used a small shot as a stop and instead of the ring I used a snap link swivel in the smallest size. I had several links made up with different weights to allow for the pace of the river. This made moving from a fast riffle to a slower section very easy as it was so quick to change the end tackle.

Di! Ecce hora. Uxor mea me necabit.

As a matter of real interest Mike, a hair rig setup is not good for chub. Probably due to the way they feed. Oh yes you may get a few with a hair rig, but you will get an awful lot of violent tugs that you don't hook.

Ask any barbel angler :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic