Bottom Trawling

Leon Roskilly

is some going to start a sensible debate on the golden mile then. i for one would like to hear just what the rs,anglerswould like..but lets be senscible and remember its got to be able to go aboat thererights to be there anglers ,commercials,hobby fisherman an all

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is some going to start a sensible debate on the golden mile then. i for one would like to hear just what the rs,anglerswould like..but lets be senscible and remember its got to be able to go aboat thererights to be there anglers ,commercials,hobby fisherman an all

see: http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/The_Golden_Mile.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi hastfish, why dont you start a new thread and see what people have to say about it? i will give you my answer why i think its a very good idea there cheers........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Two important innovations took place in herring fishing from the 1960s. The purse-net or purse seine was introduced from Norway. It was similar to the Scottish ring net that was already used on the West Coast and in the Firth of Forth, but on a bigger scale. - H.A.

the seine net used by the NE whitefish boats is not the purse seine you are ranting on about . Is it that your ignorant of that fact? or do you actually know their is a huge difference and choose to spin it by bringing in the unrelated issue of purse seine? - Jaff

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your problems. There is evidence that guided repeated oral reading procedures, including frequent practice and feedback, have a significant impact on accuracy, fluency, and comprehension in reading skills.

B)

Hi Jaffa

We have got the SSACN holyrood event on tomorrow. We have an hour long discussion in one of the committee rooms and around twenty MSP''s or staffers have committed to attend and 25 Scottish or European organisations.

Sea angling will then have an hour long debate in the chambers at 6 o'clock. See below Over 30 per cent of MSP's have signed the motion

It has been interesting to see the range of organisations that have asked to attend including two

static gear associations. They are both campaigning on the golden mile. Ironically we don't want it

SSACN's position is we would rather have individual protected areas for a specific purpose, and money pumped into the region to develop tourism and jobs through angling centres.

One of the groups that have asked to attend is seafish I was looking through their website particularly on a survey they have carrying out Ironically the biggest complaint from commercials was they weren't involved in management decisions. Civil servants have a lot to answer for

Date of Lodging: 7 January 2008 - Short Title: Recreational Sea Angling

S3M-01096 John Scott (Ayr) (Con): That the Parliament

notes the economic and social importance of recreational sea angling to communities along the west coast and across Scotland; further notes that around 225,000 people participate in the sport annually with an average spend of £1,375 for boat anglers and £861 for shore anglers; recognises that most species of interest to sea anglers have limited commercial value and are returned alive to the sea, representing an excellent financial return for “Scotland plc”; affirms the extremely low environmental cost of recreational sea angling which is at the forefront of sustainable fishing and especially welcomes the Give Fish a Chance initiative from the Scottish Sea Angling Conservation Network, encouraging anglers to keep only those fish which have reached breeding size; regrets the substantial decline of the sport and supporting industries, notably on the Firth of Clyde, due to a loss of stocks with a number of species becoming extinct locally or reduced to the point where only juvenile specimens are now being caught; notes with concern the critically endangered status of key species, such as common skate, porbeagle and spurdog, which bring sea anglers to Scotland, and considers that work between the Government, sea angling bodies and other relevant agencies should continue to ensure the conservation of key species and the continued growth of sea angling in Scotland.

Hi Ian,

Glad to see that SSACN is making up its own mind on issues. I had assumed you were just an extension of SACN and followed the party line; i should have known better ! Im sure I remember SSACN being in favour of the golden mile at one point ? Just my bad memory or when and why did the position change?

Any chance one of you could lay out the reasons behind your thinking? Anything i may say about the golden mile is "tainted" to some so its like battering your head off a brick wall .

You guys seem to be making incredible headway; has the change in government changed things much? tougher (all that SNP powerbase in fishing areas) or better (all that.... ) ? Not a problem if you feel thats not a good thing to make comment on btw ;):)

All the best for the meeting,

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your problems. There is evidence that guided repeated oral reading procedures, including frequent practice and feedback, have a significant impact on accuracy, fluency, and comprehension in reading skills.

B)

Regardless of your opinion on my mental state, the fact is that Seine net , as used by whitefish boats, has nothing whatsoever to do with Purse seine (as used by Pelagic boats). The boats are different, and the species they go for are different, Your "point" is about as relevant as attacking a dry fly trout fisher over methods used by the carp guys.

Hopefully someone else, who you might actually believe will point these simple facts out to you, so you don't continue to post nonsense like this.

.... so you don't continue to post nonsense like this - Jaffa

I shall continue to post with regard to unsustainable, destructive commercial netting methods without your permission, thank you.

I've a copy of the CEFAS/MF&A project which is, at last, facing up to the problems of inshore overfishing of certain species with a view to closing certain coastal areas to extractive fishing to enhance survival and enable more bass, for instance, within local populations to grow bigger.

It outlines the social importance of RSA, and the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit recommendation that bass could be considered for recreational only status.

I've been sitting on this CEFAS document for a week or so as I thought it too sensitive to be made public; since I have not received any guidance from its proposers (CEFAS/MFA), I am quite prepared to share it with you if someone can tell me how to embed a Power Point Doc. on this forum?

I think the hybrids will find it interesting, to say the least!

<_<

I shall continue to post with regard to unsustainable, destructive commercial netting methods without your permission, thank you.

I've a copy of the CEFAS/MF&A project which is, at last, facing up to the problems of inshore overfishing of certain species with a view to closing certain coastal areas to extractive fishing to enhance survival and enable more bass, for instance, within local populations to grow bigger.

It outlines the social importance of RSA, and the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit recommendation that bass could be considered for recreational only status.

I've been sitting on this CEFAS document for a week or so as I thought it too sensitive to be made public; since I have not received any guidance from its proposers (CEFAS/MFA), I am quite prepared to share it with you if someone can tell me how to embed a Power Point Doc. on this forum?

I think the hybrids will find it interesting, to say the least!

<_<

I don't have the power to give or deny permission to post on this forum HA. Fact.

I have never said that people should not be free to to post whatever concerns they might have about

unsustainable, destructive commercial netting methods
. Fact

Its also the case that i don't see everything about commercial fishing as sweetness and light ;) I do object to being classified into a wee box though ;) ( my Grandads saw enough of what that does round about the middle of the twentith century and as you'd perhaps accept, their word is likely to count more :) )

I 'd love to see the document you have been "sitting on " but not a clue how you embed such a thing. I take it that a powerpoint doc is just a presentation? No doubt someone will know how to do it (weaned myself off microsoft a while ago :) ) . I'd have to ask what on earth you are doing with a document you consider "too sensitive to be made public" yet no doubt my local MP has never seen it?

Chris

Hi Ian,

Glad to see that SSACN is making up its own mind on issues. I had assumed you were just an extension of SACN and followed the party line; i should have known better ! Im sure I remember SSACN being in favour of the golden mile at one point ? Just my bad memory or when and why did the position change?

Any chance one of you could lay out the reasons behind your thinking? Anything i may say about the golden mile is "tainted" to some so its like battering your head off a brick wall .

You guys seem to be making incredible headway; has the change in government changed things much? tougher (all that SNP powerbase in fishing areas) or better (all that.... ) ? Not a problem if you feel thats not a good thing to make comment on btw ;):)

All the best for the meeting,

Chris

Hi Jaffa

Our position on the Golden Mile hasn’t changed. We believe that a blanket ban may work in some area but because of Scotland’s thousands of miles of inaccessible coastline, it would be far better to have Angling Centres in specific areas where there is already RSA activity and recreational species in need of protection.

Ares like Oban for the skate and spurdog, The Solway for tope and rays and Scrabster and the North East for the Porbeagle

The main aim is for the regeneration of stocks and habitats. It is thought MPA’s increase stocks 2-3fold in 5 years and there is a much needed boost to commercial fishermen as the fish move out onto the fringes

We already have a local councils, and National heritage groups interested

Regarding the political climate, all is dependant on the economic study being carries out. SSACN is on the Governments steering group and the results are due out later this year. The SNP are very good at taking the credit for the study but it was actually sanctioned by our old friend Mr Finnie.

What I found most encouraging from the event and later debate is politicians from all parties were very supportive and accepted anglers hadn’t been given a fair crack of the whip and things need to change.

John Scott (Con)

Sea angling is, I believe, a subject that has been surprisingly overlooked by politicians

Peter Peacock (Highlands and Islands) (Lab):

“I call on the Government to work more closely with sea anglers, to ensure that their concerns are addressed.”

John Farquhar Munro (Ross, Skye and Inverness West) (LD):

“ We must make people aware of the economic importance of sea angling as part of the visitor experience.”

Elaine Murray (Dumfries) (Lab):

“The greatest concern is the loss of fish stocks, which is a problem that cannot be rectified easily. We must strike a balance between recreational and commercial fisheries.”

Mike Russell (SNP) The Minister for Environment

“The Government recognises that it should do what it can to help support and encourage recreational sea angling”

Turning words in action is the biggest challenge

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Jaffa

Our position on the Golden Mile hasn’t changed. We believe that a blanket ban may work in some area but because of Scotland’s thousands of miles of inaccessible coastline, it would be far better to have Angling Centres in specific areas where there is already RSA activity and recreational species in need of protection.

Ares like Oban for the skate and spurdog, The Solway for tope and rays and Scrabster and the North East for the Porbeagle

The main aim is for the regeneration of stocks and habitats. It is thought MPA’s increase stocks 2-3fold in 5 years and there is a much needed boost to commercial fishermen as the fish move out onto the fringes

We already have a local councils, and National heritage groups interested

Regarding the political climate, all is dependant on the economic study being carries out. SSACN is on the Governments steering group and the results are due out later this year. The SNP are very good at taking the credit for the study but it was actually sanctioned by our old friend Mr Finnie.

What I found most encouraging from the event and later debate is politicians from all parties were very supportive and accepted anglers hadn’t been given a fair crack of the whip and things need to change.

John Scott (Con)

Sea angling is, I believe, a subject that has been surprisingly overlooked by politicians

Peter Peacock (Highlands and Islands) (Lab):

“I call on the Government to work more closely with sea anglers, to ensure that their concerns are addressed.”

John Farquhar Munro (Ross, Skye and Inverness West) (LD):

“ We must make people aware of the economic importance of sea angling as part of the visitor experience.”

Elaine Murray (Dumfries) (Lab):

“The greatest concern is the loss of fish stocks, which is a problem that cannot be rectified easily. We must strike a balance between recreational and commercial fisheries.”

Mike Russell (SNP) The Minister for Environment

“The Government recognises that it should do what it can to help support and encourage recreational sea angling”

Turning words in action is the biggest challenge

Hi Ian,

Im still unaware of what SSACN 's position on the golden mile is. What are these areas that need a blanket ban?

Chris