Bottom Trawling

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Chris I thought i had made it clear in the first paragraph.

We are not in favour of the Golden mile in Scotland, because we don't favour blanket bans

"Blanket" bans can mean a lot of things Ian. I read your posts and see a lot of sense; i read the SSACN site and just see the same old same tabloid type crap.

FWIW it looks VERY anti commercial to me, and just perpetuates all the usual crap from the green groups.

This" blanket ban" (whatever that is?) is good for England/Wales, but not in Scotland, where we will get just what?

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

where we will get just what?

Chris

Hopefully we will get areas which ban all forms of destructive commercial practise and will allow species and habitats to recover.

Call them NTZ.s MPA's. marine parks, SSMEI's or what ever else you like, but the main emphasis is on regeneration

You often state you haven't seen a deterioration in your catches on the East coast. Check this out it may change your mind

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MaMCAAA...hl=en#PPA262,M1

I have regulars who often talk of the days they would be pestered by Spurdog in the Moray Firth. Places like the West coast of Scotland with its unique resident population of spurdog and common skate must be protected.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I have regulars who often talk of the days they would be pestered by Spurdog in the Moray Firth. Places like the West coast of Scotland with its unique resident population of spurdog and common skate must be protected.

Hello Ian

So you are going for the whole West coast of Scotland?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Ian

So you are going for the whole West coast of Scotland?

Hi Wurzel

It's a long time since i have had had verbal battles with yourself :D

Are we going for the whole of Scotland? It really needs to be.

See the pdf document "the forgotten sea on http://www.ssacn.org/ssacn-library/ssacn-papers

ICES have said the Irish sea stocks are at the lowest observed levels and can't recover unless the Scottish MD stop the lucrative langoustine Industry. This just isn't going to happen so something has to be done.

There are 20 once abundant species that can be considered locally extinct, rarely caught or just as juveniles.

Cod-haddock-whiting-survey.jpg

Even the sample tows struggled to catch more than one fish an hour in many areas

A recent study showed the Clyde used to support 119 charter boats, there are now just three.

The areas we would like to see as Angling Centres would be Lochs Sunnart and Etive and surrounding waters, to protect the spurs and common skate, The inner Clyde as the government evidence shows it is a nursery ground for cod Haddock and Whiting. and the Nursery areas of the Solway to help rebuild rays and flat fish populations.

There is a great deal of support for these centres from static gear associations, who are sick of having the inshore grounds damaged by the scallop and prawn dredgers and having their gear towed away.

They claim the cost of diesel is keeping the big boys inshore which is worsening the situation.

Wurzel something has to change, I know you share a love of the sea, to see a patch i know so well sink to such levels is truly heart wrenching. What a heritage to leave our kids.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

What about real time closures and the technical advances in the prawn trawling gear (fruitfull bough)

don't you need time to see if they make a difference before more drastic action is required. Thought Mr lochead had it all under control.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

What about real time closures and the technical advances in the prawn trawling gear (fruitfull bough)

don't you need time to see if they make a difference before more drastic action is required. Thought Mr lochead had it all under control.

They are still using 80cm nets in the Clyde which is producing 15 million discards. Ices constantly talks of misreporting as the numbers aren't adding up.

Not wishing to be a cynic but there has only been one real time closure and that was the day after a friendly MSP asked the fisheries minister "..how many has there been?"

Just a coincidence I am sure.

A report has just been published by the Scottish fisheries scientists FRS and it covers the North Sea right round to the Clyde but no mention about the state of the stocks from the Clyde to the Solway. Just continues the cover up about the damage the langoustine Industry is causing.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

They are still using 80cm nets in the Clyde which is producing 15 million discards. Ices constantly talks of misreporting as the numbers aren't adding up.

Not wishing to be a cynic but there has only been one real time closure and that was the day after a friendly MSP asked the fisheries minister "..how many has there been?"

Just a coincidence I am sure.

A report has just been published by the Scottish fisheries scientists FRS and it covers the North Sea right round to the Clyde but no mention about the state of the stocks from the Clyde to the Solway. Just continues the cover up about the damage the langoustine Industry is causing.

Your entitled to your opinion Ian, but fwiw the idea that theirs some kind of cover up seems a bit far fetched to me. I've seen those kind of accusations before from the anti salmon farm groups and hope SSACN is not heading down the same blind alley.

I might be stupid and misinformed but am actually very optimistic about the real time closures and could not give a flying fish how the politicians choose to spin it to their advantage. Just looks like a bloody good idea, long overdue, and I 'd hope any serious angling body would wait and see how it pans out rather than go all political and attack it for idealogical reasons when its barely got off the ground.

Your link to SSACN's piece at http://www.ssacn.org/ssacn-library/ssacn-papers, hardly reassures. Its pure tabloid stuff :(

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I might be stupid and misinformed but am actually very optimistic about the real time closures and could not give a flying fish how the politicians choose to spin it to their advantage. Just looks like a bloody good idea, long overdue, and I 'd hope any serious angling body would wait and see how it pans out rather than go all political and attack it for idealogical reasons when its barely got off the ground.

Chris

Since the headline grabbing news of the closures hit the tabloids around the quota dishing out time, there has been a total of one? How many extra days at sea did this produce and to what effect to the stock and the fifteen million disgard did this new incentive really have?

I believe that the closure also is for a period of three weeks?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Your entitled to your opinion Ian, but fwiw the idea that theirs some kind of cover up seems a bit far fetched to me. I've seen those kind of accusations before from the anti salmon farm groups and hope SSACN is not heading down the same blind alley.

Your link to SSACN's piece at http://www.ssacn.org/ssacn-library/ssacn-papers, hardly reassures. Its pure tabloid stuff :(

Chris

Chris

Maybe cover up is the wrong word. It just pees me off that a 70 mile patch of coastline is not included in any government assessments of Scotland's fish stocks. Its like it doesn't exist. And by coincidence it is the area that has shown the most sign of blatant overfishing.

Your comment on tabloid stuff is quite true, The paper was deliberately reduced to a one pager. pm me your email address and i will send you the full paper which gives all the data detail, references etc.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk