First trip to France

Sportsman

Around June I intend to try France for a week of carp fishing. Living in Scotland, opportunities to fish for large carp are limited so I am a bit of a newbie at this. I would appreciate any advice from you experts.

First of all I am looking for a water where I am likely to get plenty of runs (short attention span ;) )

Not too bothered about massive fish but a few 20lbers would be nice.

Given that I have a 600 mile drive to get to the channel, somewhere in the North of the country would probably suit me better.

I intend to camp (bivvy up?) so what is the difference between a tent and a bivvy, apart from street cred.

I will be using my pike deadbaiting rods and reels, 3 X custom built Harrison Ballister 13ft 3lb TC with Okuma Interceptors. Is this overgunned for what I intend to do.

Should I take bait or buy it on site, and if so, what

Anything else I need to know

The ideal would be to get a minimum party of 4 anglers so that we get the lake to ourselves, so lastly, anyone else interested in a trip?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Around June I intend to try France for a week of carp fishing. Living in Scotland, opportunities to fish for large carp are limited so I am a bit of a newbie at this. I would appreciate any advice from you experts.First of all I am looking for a water where I am likely to get plenty of runs (short attention span ;) )Not too bothered about massive fish but a few 20lbers would be nice.Given that I have a 600 mile drive to get to the channel, somewhere in the North of the country would probably suit me better.I intend to camp (bivvy up?) so what is the difference between a tent and a bivvy, apart from street cred.I will be using my pike deadbaiting rods and reels, 3 X custom built Harrison Ballister 13ft 3lb TC with Okuma Interceptors. Is this overgunned for what I intend to do.Should I take bait or buy it on site, and if so, whatAnything else I need to knowThe ideal would be to get a minimum party of 4 anglers so that we get the lake to ourselves, so lastly, anyone else interested in a trip?Thanks in advanceDave
Hi Dave,I have only been fishing once in France and from that single experience and experience from speaking to other anglers and the little I do know is......The site I went to has a website: www.bestfrenchcarp.com , when I was there I got speaking to people who were on the private lake for a week and they said it was great. They had been going for years and kept going back!!!When you know what lake your going to do some research on it, ask on here and then email or get in contact with the lake owners and ask if there are rules like having to use their own pellets/baits etc.And on the bivvy topic, I'm not sure what the main differences are between these and tents but I think they are probably just more practical for the task.Dan.

I'm not really a fisherman, I just like to think I am.

Thanks for the replies.

Does this look enough like a bivvy to get away with it. Looks good value

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/...etail/rowid=722

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

For your first trip, the gear you have sounds fine - I didn't spot what bite alarms you have but they are essential, as are a decent net and an unhooking mat.

As for bivvies - well that's up to you and what you prefer. I fish under an umbrella but a lot of people want a tent like bivvy. But make sure that wherever you go, will accept tents if that's what you decide on, as some venues won't.

Have a look at Gareths website Angling Lines they have loads of waters of various types and must have one to suit you. They will also be able to best advise on bait. Just don't get carried away with getting tons of the stuff. I find 5Kg per person ample on most waters, and if the fish are really having it you can normally buy more on site.

Hth,

Rob.

P.S. Or click on the sponsored links on this page for 'carp holidays'

Edited by RobStubbs

Hi there,

With regard to bait check with the complex that you book some insist that you use their bait some do not, also there are lakes that are pestered by Crayfish so a bait that is resistant either by flavour IE, Rose hip or by texture IE, very hard may be called for.

Good advise to contact Chris Goddard and do not forget your Toilet paper. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Around June I intend to try France for a week of carp fishing. Living in Scotland, opportunities to fish for large carp are limited so I am a bit of a newbie at this. I would appreciate any advice from you experts.

First of all I am looking for a water where I am likely to get plenty of runs (short attention span ;) )

Not too bothered about massive fish but a few 20lbers would be nice.

Given that I have a 600 mile drive to get to the channel, somewhere in the North of the country would probably suit me better.

I intend to camp (bivvy up?) so what is the difference between a tent and a bivvy, apart from street cred.

I will be using my pike deadbaiting rods and reels, 3 X custom built Harrison Ballister 13ft 3lb TC with Okuma Interceptors. Is this overgunned for what I intend to do.

Should I take bait or buy it on site, and if so, what

Anything else I need to know

The ideal would be to get a minimum party of 4 anglers so that we get the lake to ourselves, so lastly, anyone else interested in a trip?

Thanks in advance

Dave

hi have a look at www.millersfrenchfishinghoildays.com .it a new lake and holds a good stock of tench perch roach pike and double figure zander and carp to 40 lbs. you get exclusive use of the lake,plus a 2 bedroom hunters cottage that sleeps 4.

hi have a look at www.millersfrenchfishinghoildays.com .it a new lake and holds a good stock of tench perch roach pike and double figure zander and carp to 40 lbs. you get exclusive use of the lake,plus a 2 bedroom hunters cottage that sleeps 4.

If you mean L'Etanchet the Millers sold it all there other venues are booked up for the year and most of next and then the year after.

Your link did not work by the way, well for me anyway