To fish or not to fish etc

lopex

Was planning a days carping tomorrow but with the high 25mph MW winds and light rain I am starting to have second thoughts.

Will the high winds stop the bites. The air pressure will be dropping/changeable which is normally a good thing.

Will need the rod tips under the water or with close in back leads to prevent the alarms going off after every gust!

What do you think??

(I am talking myself into it)

Guest tigger
Will need the rod tips under the water or with close in back leads to prevent the alarms going off after every gust!

What do you think??

(I am talking myself into it)

Use a side winder if your ledgering, the winds not a problem when you use one. You can even attach a starlight for night vision.

I have just spent over £10 on maggots and casters for use on the pole tomorrow, being windy I do not know whether i am going to be able to go and if it is raining I will probably cry!! its ment to get worse as the weekend goes on, this is not good:-wanted a relaxing time catching lots of whatever before I have to dive into my books and finish my degree

may have to get the waggler out or even try the old feeder!!

Edited by mjbarnes12
wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

I think you should give it a go - beats sitting inside watching Bank Holiday TV!! I always enjoy a good strong wind when carp fishing, especially if its a south westerly but I think we have Northerlies coming in tonight so may be a bit tougher going......good luck if you do go and let us know if you catch!!

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Had one horrible bream with lots of red lumps on it that really smelt bad and two small common of about 3-5 lbs. I have washed my hands in everything I can think of but can still smell the bream!! Poor thing the marks were on both sides so I guess it would have been a Pike attack that became infected.

I was fishing into silt so I used the slit/helicopter rig. I was missing lots of fish. Only having one or two beeps on the alarm(set low sensitivity to avoid wind bites!) then finding when I reeled in the stopper bead was way passed the leadcore and onto my main line with the bait gone!

What other options can I use when fishing in silt tight to the far bank? The silt can be a food deep in places and you need a good size lead to reach the area.

Still better than watching Matt Hayes do the fishing and some lessons will be learned.

Had one horrible bream with lots of red lumps on it that really smelt bad and two small common of about 3-5 lbs. I have washed my hands in everything I can think of but can still smell the bream!! Poor thing the marks were on both sides so I guess it would have been a Pike attack that became infected.

I was fishing into silt so I used the slit/helicopter rig. I was missing lots of fish. Only having one or two beeps on the alarm(set low sensitivity to avoid wind bites!) then finding when I reeled in the stopper bead was way passed the leadcore and onto my main line with the bait gone!

What other options can I use when fishing in silt tight to the far bank? The silt can be a food deep in places and you need a good size lead to reach the area.

Still better than watching Matt Hayes do the fishing and some lessons will be learned.

How far away is the far bank and what is the overall depth. If you are fishing at distance into silt then when you tighten up you can pull a lot of line into the silt dependent on the angle of entry which in turn can effect your hooklength. For Silt fishing I generally would use a good metre or more of weighted rig tube with with the helicopter mounted on the tube with two good stopper rubber beads either side of the helicopter which enables me to fine tune to get the best presentation

well went out today, madman that I am along with a mate, very windy,rain, sleet, ice, hail,snow and sunshine, along with the full moon last night, baring in mind I have not been able to buy a bite this year, and most of last, ended the day with one carp 10lb 8oz, totaly please that I went, although it was very cold.

I went out Friday, which turned out to be much nicer day than forecast.

Managed to pick up a few Roach. Lost two carp - wasn't geared up to cope with them - got to see the first - a mirror but couldn't net it, the second just rocketed off and the 1lb hooklength just pinged.

A couple of swims up from me had a much better day - 2 carp, a large Perch and a Tench ! He was legering maggot and casting out to a deep gully in the middle of the lake.

Tony