Big bream

Anderoo

In this week's AM there's a very impressive story about a guy who fished a 24-hour session at Startops and had a fantastic haul of bream weighing 16lb 4oz, 16lb, 13lb 12oz and 10lb 7oz (all caught deliberately).

What's most interesting is that he blanked during the night and then caught all 4 fish in a 30-minute spell starting at 10am, and some of the fish (it doesn't say how many) were caught on rubber caster, the rest on lobs. I'm still trying to get my head around the bream and fake baits thing.

Its is in the AT as well.

Click here.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its is in the AT as well.

Click here.

Different bloke and different haul! Blimey, looks like I'm heading in the wrong direction this weekend!

He put out a fair old amount of bait:

He then spodded out a veritable feast consisting of 12 pints of dead maggots, 3kg of Nutrabaits Trigga pellets, four tins of sweetcorn, three pints of casters and a large helping of chopped lobworms.

Obviously no eel problems there...!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Different bloke and different haul! Blimey, looks like I'm heading in the wrong direction this weekend!

He put out a fair old amount of bait:

Obviously no eel problems there...!

They sound like 16lb shoal fish to me, SB's?

They sound like 16lb shoal fish to me, SB's?

I would say so, they've grown huge naturally, the average size is massive by the sounds of it. I wonder how many are in there? I don't know if any small ones get caught.

Anyone here fished it? It sounds pretty manageable at 26 acres.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Two great catchs there.I would be interested in knowing more about the other catch due to the use of fake casters.Mind you it seems that there is no eel problem there so it might not be relevant.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would say so, they've grown huge naturally, the average size is massive by the sounds of it. I wonder how many are in there? I don't know if any small ones get caught.

Anyone here fished it? It sounds pretty manageable at 26 acres.

I think Chevin might know a thing or two about its history.

Fished at Tring a few times but not as much as I would have liked to.A classic big fish water.Startops was more known for its big roach back then and Ive mainly fished Marsworth.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Two great catchs there.I would be interested in knowing more about the other catch due to the use of fake casters.Mind you it seems that there is no eel problem there so it might not be relevant.

Yes, me too. Plenty of big bream have been caught on fake baits...I guess they can work. It still feels like a massive risk though doesn't it?

• 1 month later...

September again, and I'm going to try to fish as much as I can (work and home life permitting) for the bream, hopefully two 3-day sessions. I was sorting a few bits out in preparation yesterday and came across some hooklengths I made up for tench fishing, with 2 fake maggots on a short hair. Leaving aside the 'feeling' about not using fake baits for these bream, logically I just can't see why they wouldn't work. I think it might be time to take a leap of faith and give them a fair go.

If they did work, it would be superb! And plenty of other people do catch big bream on fake baits.

A quick technical question - do you think that adding a couple of real maggots straight on the hook (with 2 fake ones on a short hair) could mess up the rig's effectiveness? (Size 10 hook, 4" soft 10lb braid, 2oz inline semi-fixed lead.)

I think to start with I might try using a mixture of real and fake maggots, and see how bad the eel/tiddler situation is this time of year. Whichever way I think about it, I always come back to thinking that maggots are on balance the best bait to use...

By the way, this stuff might be useful to dunk the rubber ones in: http://www.grubjuice.com/