Big bream

Anderoo

Brings me back to the difference between fishing for tench and bream again. Now I've digested it all, it's clear to me that there is a difference. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have laid out a banquet along that crease and put 4 baits all in a line, 5 yards apart. There's no way I'd do that for tench.

That's fine if you know that is where they will be, do you think they will always follow that route? Even if thats true then that is still only one swim, my real problem is not knowing which of the many great features in each swim the bream will go past, if they are even anywhere near you!

Rich

p.s. having bad day at work not meant to sound as moody as above!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's fine if you know that is where they will be, do you think they will always follow that route? Even if thats true then that is still only one swim, my real problem is not knowing which of the many great features in each swim the bream will go past, if they are even anywhere near you!

Rich

p.s. having bad day at work not meant to sound as moody as above!

I expect you'll feel better later :)

I think they have preferred routes, but as you say that doesn't mean they'll go past you in any one session. But you have to fish somewhere! I think the main difference is choosing where to bait up and fish for bream, as opposed to tench, in the swim you choose. The spot the bream came from was a terrible tench spot. In other swims, you can get both species from the same spot (as you know :D )

Knowing where they'll be (or more accurately, where they're likely to be, if they pass through) can only be based on liners and captures.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm convinced now that (at Wingham) hook baits are a red herring. Ditto rigs. (We should list all rigs they've been caught on too.)

I very much agree.My main reason for compiling the information was just to underline this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

We should film a fly on the wall documentary about the big Bream at Wingham - Location, Location, Frustration......

I've just finished editing a piece about an angler by the name of Tony Gibson, who targeted and caught the only bream in a lake of 120 acres. One bream...120 acres of water, and he caught it on his second 'proper' session on the water. It was an ounce or two under the British record, too. Now, that's what I call location. :huh:

Mind you, this is no ordinary angler; Tony's held the barbel record twice, he's won the Drennan Cup and the Fox Cup, he's caught three different 29-pound pike, perch to 5lbs, and plenty more besides. He's no full-timer, either.

I'm wangling a meeting with him soon, and I can't wait.

Sorry for barging in, chaps. As you were. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Is that going into the Cemex mag, WB? Sounds worth a read, what an achievement!

Yes mate. It's an interview conducted by Jerry Hammond. I found it an interesting glimpse into the mentality of a real specimen hunter.

There's also an article about a perch fishing session that I had to read twice to believe the numbers of specimen stripeys involved. The method and location were extremely interesting, too.

Mind you, I could be biased... B)

Forgive me for asking but how the hell does this guy know there is "only 1 bream" in that lake? 120 acres, and he knows the bream population EXACTLY ?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Forgive me for asking but how the hell does this guy know there is "only 1 bream" in that lake? 120 acres, and he knows the bream population EXACTLY ?

Den

Ah, Sir Den with his dander up. Surely no finer sight in all angling! :D

The 'one bream' verdict comes from years of carp fishing on the venue, where carp anglers have only ever caught one particular, quite distinctive, bream. No other bream has ever shown up, like ever.

Now, while that may not be the most scientific survey ever done, as far as angling goes, it'll do for simple souls like me. :P