Fly Dressing Club

Steven Osborne

how much is it to fish the derwent, is it accesable enough to fly fish?

It's a great little fly fishing river, both for brownies and grayling. It's £47 a year for Derwent AA membership, which covers you for fly-only fishing for the top half of the river, from the reservoir down to Lintzford. From Lintzford to Swalwell is controlled by the Axwell Park and Derwent Valley AA, who are a bit harder to track down - I know I had an email address for the club a while back, but think I've lost it now. If you're interested in that stretch, your best bet would probably be to ask in somewhere like Frasers, who might well have a contact.

You can also fish both club's water on very affordable day tickets (either £2.50 or £5, depending on the stretch). See the Tyne Angling Passport website for more details. (So far as I can tell, they've just introduced this scheme this year.)