how do I stop line kinking ?

jimba

I've been having this problem for ages , when I cast the line comes off all springy and sometimes causes tangles.

I know there's an easy fix to this problem and I should probably know it by now.I think someone once told me you have to soak your spools prior to use but I cant remember if this is right and how you should soak them.

Can anyone help with this problem ????

many thanks

:fishing1:

I've been having this problem for ages , when I cast the line comes off all springy and sometimes causes tangles.

I know there's an easy fix to this problem and I should probably know it by now.I think someone once told me you have to soak your spools prior to use but I cant remember if this is right and how you should soak them.

Can anyone help with this problem ????

many thanks

:fishing1:

Hi Jimba...

I am assuming you are using a spinning reel and not a centerpin. Sounds to me like you are putting the line on backwards when you are fillling your spool. That causes line twist and you can't get rid of it ... I don't care how long you soak the line on the spool. Remedy....

When you are putting new line onto the spool of your reel... lay the spool your new line came on... on the floor... label side "UP"... make half a dozen turns of your real handle and watch the line coming off the spool... if it starts to twist... turn the spool over "label side down"... and continue putting the line onto your reel... I think you'll find this will take care of your problem. Once in a while if you haven't fished for a while and the line on your reel has been on there for some time... you may get a few "coils" these will eventually work their way out as you fish... usually takes about thirty minutes in the water for this to work. BUT... Coil & "Twist" are two different things ... Your problem is "Twist"

Hope this helps you mate.

Rob J

Palm Sprngs Ca.

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

Hi Jimba...

I am assuming you are using a spinning reel and not a centerpin. Sounds to me like you are putting the line on backwards when you are fillling your spool. That causes line twist and you can't get rid of it ... I don't care how long you soak the line on the spool. Remedy....

When you are putting new line onto the spool of your reel... lay the spool your new line came on... on the floor... label side "UP"... make half a dozen turns of your real handle and watch the line coming off the spool... if it starts to twist... turn the spool over "label side down"... and continue putting the line onto your reel... I think you'll find this will take care of your problem. Once in a while if you haven't fished for a while and the line on your reel has been on there for some time... you may get a few "coils" these will eventually work their way out as you fish... usually takes about thirty minutes in the water for this to work. BUT... Coil & "Twist" are two different things ... Your problem is "Twist"

Hope this helps you mate.

Rob J

Palm Sprngs Ca.

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

thanks for your advice.

I didn't know you could put line on backwards but now you mention it I think thats what I'm probably doing wrong.

I'm sure somebody once told me that I should soak the line as I load from spool to reel is this correct ??

When I load my reel I run a spindle through the spool of line and suspend it in a tub of fairly warm water. I let the spool of line rotate as I wind on and run the line through a cloth in my hand under slight tension. This seems to work for me. A couple of times per season I will put a small weight on and cast and retreive 3 or 4 times seems to get the line out of its coiled habit a bit.

Edited by Barry C

It depends on which line it is too - some are naturally more springy than others, usually the cheaper ones. I had a dabble with the cheap Fox (Warrior?) bulk line a couple of seasons back, and that was terrible!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I agree with Anderoo. It's down to the lines "memory" and some lines (not always the cheapest) have more memory than others.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

My line has got a terrible memory......it sometimes can't remember how to catch fish :D

Seriously though, an interesting thread

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

thanks for your advice.

I didn't know you could put line on backwards but now you mention it I think thats what I'm probably doing wrong.

I'm sure somebody once told me that I should soak the line as I load from spool to reel is this correct ??

Like I said "Twist & Coil" are two different things. I've never heard of the "Warm water soaking" thing... according to some of the other replies you had... some say it works. But if you put your line on the way I explained to you I think you'll find it will make a big difference. Line "Memory" may have a little to do with it but if your putting it on backwards you're gonna have a mess. There are special simple tools you can buy to help you do this... I find them unneccessary...

Food for thought... considering what we spend on high quality rods and reels... it does not make sense to me why someone would buy "Cheap" quality line. Your line is one of the most important pieces of fishing equipment you have... it can make or "BREAK" your day.

One more tip... I don't know if you have access to a boat or fish from a friends boat from time to time...If you do, you can use this trick. With nothing on your line at all... no float ... no shot... no hook.... as the boat is moving forward... hold your rod high in the air and let out a 100 ft or so (more if you need to)... let the line "UNTWIST" itself in the wind. Works very well. You could also do this in your back garden or a park if theres a good stiff breeze blowing.

Good luck mate

Tight "UNTWISTED" lines

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

I have suffered "birds nests" off my reel before now - mine was due to the line not being wound on the spool tight enough............

My cure......Place new spool of line in a bowl of hot water on the floor, put your empty reel & spool on the rod, take the end of the line from the bowl of hot water, thread it through the butt loop and attatch it to the reel - thread the line through the centre of the yellow pages or a big heavy book on a table, sit back, feet up and wind the line on ya spool....You get the tension and an even spool of line...and more importantly, it's on the right way around...

Real women don't have hot flushes - They have power surges!!

I would think that too hot water could weaken the line. I think it's Gardner Tackle do a weight designed especially for this purpose. You just put it on go to your local park where you can cast without hitting someone :headhurt: The lead has a twist in it from what I can remember but it does work.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!