chub and dace anal fins

tiddlertamer

I managed to snaffle a couple of chub out of the Hampshire Avon on the last day of the fishing season.

A lovely brace of fish and perfect examples of fit and healthy river chub. Both were just a touch under 4lb. (yehah!)

The only thing that intrigued me was that I always thought that chub have convex anal fins as opposed to the concave fins of the dace.

And yet their fins were definitely concave...

Maybe a pike or another chub has had a nibble. Any clues anyone? It put my theory about identifying juvenile chub and dace into a bit of a tailspin.

Ho hum - a good excuse to show a piccy of one of my few triumphs!

post-13307-1207949994_thumb.jpg

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I think that's just showing a bit of damage, for ID you should only really need to check the mouth, even a small Chub has the same shape mouth as a large one and is totally different to a Dace.

I think that's just showing a bit of damage

Yes that does look like a damaged anal fin, I wonder if it was caused by a previous fungal infection thats now cleared up?.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)