interesting site

chesters1

Come across this in paper form in the past but I just found it now in an online searchable form.

Mainly industrial-based but boy there's a lot of British firms that have disappeared over the years, I stumbled over it trying to see if I could find out how old my vice was

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Davis_(1834-1902)

The link goes to a local house I pass most days, now it belongs to a very wealthy french person.The house itself was welknown in horticultural circles the word til (or till) gives it away but now its only vaguely horticultural reference is 4 horses like most of the village its no longer producing anything but horse poop

Strangely disjointed site a small link could open many!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the link chesters, 

I worked for a company called WH Baxter for 8 years until it closed down in 1980/81. I remember it celebrating it's centenary a couple of years prior to it closing down, we all got a commemorative plate depicting an image of it's 'famous' patented 'Napping Motion Stone Breaker'. We got them as an after thought when they ordered them for customers and associates, but over ordered, and decide to hand them out instead of just dumping them. It was interesting to see exactly when it was founded, and what it initially produced, and developed over the years. It eventually became a victim of Thatchers policies in the 80s. It was interesting to see the history of the firm in the 100 years up to that time.

Leeds had a long history of Engineering, as well as the textile industries, and large engineering companies such as Claytons, Henry Berry, Hunslet Engine Co, Braimes, etc took up the whole of the Hunslet area, and I remember travelling down there as an apprentice after leaving school. They have all disappeared now, and the whole area from above the city down was 'redeveloped' with what was known locally as 'the Yuppie flats', student accommodation, and budget hotels, along with small themed eating/drinking establishments, The Royal Armouries, and The Tetley Brewers Wharfe. This ruined our urban fishing on the much improved River Aire, and it's murder having to see the water, but not having access to it's banks.

I'll enjoy looking up the industrial history of the area, it will add to the list of things that I've got that make this lockdown thing more bearable.

Thanks again

John 

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheers ,i was looking for my first work place ,its known worldwide but little about the actual building.

Its was Shuck Mclean but thats not what was said answering the phone lol

5,6,&7 Ireland yard ec4

They made printing ink for a great deal of the worlds bank notes

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson