Roach fishing in Great Ouse

The Flying Tench

I'm thinking of going on a short fishing break soon if the weather will allow, and I came across an old article in the Angling Times recommending Bromham, near Bedford, for roach in the summer. That got me thinking about roach fishing in the Ouse more generally. The nearest to me would be Brackley, then Buckingham, then MK, then Bedford. I guess the ideal would be fairly reliable fishing with the hope of a pounder or two. Actually, although roach would be my first choice, I'd be interested in anything fairly reliable (perch or chub, for example), but I'm not wanting to sit by a ledger for ages hoping for a barbel or monster chub. Any advice would be welcome.

john clarke

Never fished the Great Ouse but one thing I will say is take plenty of Casters.

It's also very worthwhile taking the time turning your own to as "Ruby Red" as you can, but still sink from the biggest white Gozzers you can get. (for the Hook at least)

Good sized Roach prefer a Single Caster, "Buried" inside the hook on a Fine Wire Size 16 or a wide gape 18 & 3 Lb Line - will give you a good chance if big Chub come in.

If you don't have a riddle with big enough holes - Make your own, a bit like this one I made from 2, 1 Litre Ice Cream tubs, using a HOT 4 or 5 inch nail to make the holes.

The Nails in the Pic' give the space for the Maggots to fall into the bottom part. I've shown the 2 tubs slightly offset for demo only - The Top tub fits perfectly on top & about 10 mm deep inside when in use!!

DSCN1995.JPG

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Hi Tench

I have been fishing the Great Ouse in that area most of my life. In that time it has changed considerably. At the moment there are specimen perch throughout from Buckingham down to Bedford. There are nowhere near the barbel or chub numbers there use to be either but there are some good fish to be found. The Roach fishing in the Autumn can be good though i haven't had any real specimen roach i regularly get good bags 10-15lb of 4oz to 12oz fish. 

• Like 1

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Thanks, Terry, just the advice I need. So I'll probably target the perch, and leave the roach for hemp and tares in the summer. Though come to think of it, if my experience on the Kennet is anything to go by, the perch will shoal up in the winter so there could be an issue about locating the fish, so roach will be a useful stand-by. 

A slight difficulty is that I have a bad back and I really need to be within about 200 yds of the car. Can you advise a suitable place? I phoned an angling shop and they suggested New Bradwell or Emberton Park, which both sound fine, but Buckingham would be closer. But I can't find much info on the web about Buckingham, day tickets parking etc. So any advice on this would be great.

Thanks

john clarke

All of the Ouse in Milton Keynes is day ticket. Buckingham AC to my knowledge don't do day tickets. Emberton park although controlled by MK you have to pay for access to the park and then pay extra for a day ticket. Above and below the weir use to be good for roach but i haven't fished it for a few years. Another good area in Milton Keynes is Stony Ouse. MKAA - Stony Stratford Ouse for  good perch and Roach .

Another good area to target is the Ouse and ouzel in Newport Pagnell the riverside and castle meadows are day ticket.  Maps - NPFA The ouzel itself is a great winter venue with everything available  especially if the main river is really pushing. Riverside and castle both have what i call easy walking with paths but no so close to the river walkers are getting in the way (about 20yds back from the rivers edge) I fished castle meadows last weekend and had a good day fishing hemp and caster.

Apart from Bedford town centre which is free fishing these are the only day ticket stretches i know of.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:40 AM, terry t shirt said:

All of the Ouse in Milton Keynes is day ticket. Buckingham AC to my knowledge don't do day tickets. Emberton park although controlled by MK you have to pay for access to the park and then pay extra for a day ticket. Above and below the weir use to be good for roach but i haven't fished it for a few years. Another good area in Milton Keynes is Stony Ouse. MKAA - Stony Stratford Ouse for  good perch and Roach .

Another good area to target is the Ouse and ouzel in Newport Pagnell the riverside and castle meadows are day ticket.  Maps - NPFA The ouzel itself is a great winter venue with everything available  especially if the main river is really pushing. Riverside and castle both have what i call easy walking with paths but no so close to the river walkers are getting in the way (about 20yds back from the rivers edge) I fished castle meadows last weekend and had a good day fishing hemp and caster.

Apart from Bedford town centre which is free fishing these are the only day ticket stretches i know of.

Wow! Thanks, Terry. What a profusion of good waters MKAA has. I might start with Stratford Stoney as it's a fraction closer to me, and it looks as if the car parks are very close to the river, which is necessary for me with my back trouble.

Tight lines

john clarke