Best way to hook lobworms

The Flying Tench

I'm thinking particularly of perch fishing. I was advised years ago that the best way is through the head so that as it drops it looks as natural as possible, and also when you wind in. And when float fishing that still makes sense to me. But when feeder fishing they are more likely to feel resistance and let go, so I think you have to strike more quickly, and there's a risk they won't have engulfed the whole worm. So is there a case for hooking the worm half way along? What do you do?

I caught a nice perch of about 1.5 lbs today, but missed 4 more which I thought I'd hooked, and started to fight, but then came off. I'm wondering if this was the reason for some of them, though for some of them I think I was using too small a hook (size 8), and maybe the tip of the hook was masked by the worm curing over.

Any views?

john clarke

Hi Tench, personally I use a QuickStop Hair Rig through the middle for Dendro's & Lobs.

They can't wriggle off & the hook is fully exposed, you can shorten the Hair by just winding it around the hook bend if they're not having it as made.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi26dif6dnzAhVK6u0KHUOzBPgYABAIGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2GOJteg4wMwcj7RX2SAS_cxHWkDN36gtYI_Ars582T2XseaygEx6lWJxxAg5oNI1TqFRRbv59KTm9GvUat2r-&sig=AOD64_0jLq0Qq0i4pV2_7q8Ch_B_ECIhfw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjpus6f6dnzAhWJoBQKHUMRBLcQ9aACegQIARB3&adurl=

They go down to Size 18 & 16 to 5 Lb which is more than enough for Perch so don't be put off by the 10 Lb line in the Link.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!