Removing Stripped Head Screws

Martin56

This one's especially for Dave. (Chesters1)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Cheers i have several sets of varied screw ,bolt and stud removers and have used your guides twice with success .The trick sometimes so easy as to use a counter clockwise drill bit as it starts to cut it can just uncrew the damaged screw .I wish my pillar drill had reverse

Most of the problems are steel into aluminium on my daughters scooter (its pretty old so galvanic action going on)so any i remove are substituted with stainless if they are not a over tight situation (holding covers on etc rather than wheels and such)

Stainless fixings are getting so cheap i am not seeing much difference to ordinary screws bolts etc so i have made up a few boxes of stainless alternatives in several sizes from 2mm to 8mm .I understand stainless isnt as strong as steel but in many situations preferable.

I used to use copper grease on bolts etc but now the thought is thats not so great as our predecessors advised so now use stainless which hopefully gets around the problem of galvanic action as ofcourse the copper in the grease has its problems.

Talking about bolts and nuts the best tool i have bought lately is a torque multiplier ,my sons LDV wheel nuts were so tight we snapped 3ft bars with scaffold tube on them with me standing on the end trying to shift them (a heavy duty impact wrench burnt out trying ! Milwaukee fuel are crap nowadays ! It went straight back ,did you know you can bend 3ft crowbars and 5ft digging bars very easilly?) But the multiplier worked fine ,slow but got the nuts loose enough for my 240v impact driver to take over with just a little smoke! Its quicker than a 1" socket handle and extention ,bugger knows what tool was used to tighten them ! There seems to be a sudden decline in tools since 2021 going by this guy who repairs them and also hates Milwaukee tools

well worth watching

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDCMUC8bYhuT5p6xncsk1CZAO1Fw&playnext=1&si=POrUmZwZOU8Fk-jY

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Maybe you could Strap a cordless screwdriver/drill to the Quill of the pillar drill (I'm thinking maybe, BIG, Jubilee clips??) with the Quill locked ??

They all have reverse. Shove a couple of bits of 1/2" wood or beading behind the quill, so the clips really Bite In.

Unplug the Pillar Drill.  🤕

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I just bought one of those drill holders with the arm ,my old B&D fits perfectly and it hasnt got a keyless chuck so you can put it in reverse without fear of it coming loose .

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/b5QAAOSwsc9k20D9/s-l1600.webp

I would prefer it had the potential to drill at an angle but those in my budget are feeble compared

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson