Bad day at the office

carpin mad

I have recently been fishing at my local fishery ( Thorpe Lea fishery ) and didn't catch anything. The day before i had gone to my local tackle shop and bought new hooks ( size 7 ) and a bait feeder with a 40g weight attached to the feeder. I was using pinapple and maple popups, most of the time having one of each on at a time. In the feeder i had groundbait ( which i mixed when i got there in a bucket with fresh water ) with some red maggots. I really cant see why i didnt catch and i cant believe i wasted the whole day and £9 to sit and watch a lake. I thought fisheries were much better than free lakes yet i have cought around 20 pound carp in free lakes in a day and nothing in a fishery. PLEASE HELP!! <_<

I was with him. We cast our feeders and Maple 8 & Pineapple boilies just in the middle of us, and an island. We re-casted every hour - hour 1/2, but still nothing for 6 hours.

What are we doing wrong?

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

With the ever chaning weather at the moment fishing will be hard. I would say your main problem is constantly recasting as you are probably getting the fish over your bait then disturbing them by lobbing a 40g feeder on their heads! You will have to be prepared to wait in the colder temps.

I remember my eldest going there in the colder months and blanking.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I was with him. We cast our feeders and Maple 8 & Pineapple boilies just in the middle of us, and an island. We re-casted every hour - hour 1/2, but still nothing for 6 hours.

What are we doing wrong?

Nothing much, you blanked, it happens. To me angling is sitting all day looking at the scenery, enjoying being outdoors. Catching fish is a bonus.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Despite being heavily stocked, at this time of year there will be areas where there are either no carp or very few. I wouldn't worry about tackle, rigs or bait - I expect you were just fishing empty water. Also, don't worry about blanking, it happens all the time.

Next time I'd try to spot some fish before picking a swim, and move swims if you haven't caught by the time you expect to. Not to the next swim, a proper move, to a different area of the lake. Try different depths, open water, under your feet, etc. Something will work.

PS I agree about club lakes - far better value than day ticket places.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

For me the carp season is over, now the weather has turned i target roach, perch, chub and sometimes pike. If you are going to target carp with bolies in the winter prepare for a blank. Mind you i have caught carp in December on worms when targeting stillwater chub and perch at my local commercial fishery.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Also, don't worry about blanking, it happens all the time.
If you fish for mullet like I do, blanking is the norm :lol:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

For me the carp season is over, now the weather has turned i target roach, perch, chub and sometimes pike. If you are going to target carp with bolies in the winter prepare for a blank. Mind you i have caught carp in December on worms when targeting stillwater chub and perch at my local commercial fishery.

Good advice - however my last perch, chub and pike sessions have all been blanks :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What are we doing wrong?

I have now fished it 3 times, the guy that runs it recons that you should fish open water swims, my friend

has fished over the back by the motorway for a night sesson, in August used a spod and method feeder tactics and did well. seems open water and finding the features is your best bet, best areas are so I have been told, the beach just to right of carpark or over by the motorway.

The 3 times I have been, I have ended up at the end of an island, first time I was lucky as i jumped into a swim which had been baite over 3 days, the guy had loads out, I ony managed 1 at 17lb 4oz, 2nd time was on method had loads of bites but only one fish 17lb 5oz. 3rd time i blanked.

found it very strange when we got back to the car, we spoke to guys who fish it all the time, who could not believe that we had blanked, but I think every one around our side had, the guy next to us had been smashed a couple of times.

mick