Strange bait???

*Ant*

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some mates of mine would never pass a dead rabbit or pheasant in the road when travelling to Southwold .....

liver again, I think.

Deadly for bass in the river, there.

Leon, amazed at the many reports of bass to bread this summer, when mullet fishing.

HMS Dolphin (Pompei) has produced fish to 6lbs.

I also heard a few years ago of a 12lbs bass on a chicken leg from Pompei docks.

(Sorry, can't bring meself to say that word ...

naval City in Central Southern England).

Another good standby is mussels, either found in the supermarket or on the beach, you'll need elastic too, to hold them on. Excellent when tipped with squid. Caught place, dabs, bass, whiting and pouting off chesil.

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Guest sslatter

I've been out after mullet every day since the end of March, and have had countless bass to 4lb 4oz on plain old white breadflake, plus a few flounders, including one of 1lb 8oz. The local ragworm/peeler crab boys aren't getting a look-in. The mullet boys are catching all the bass round here.

Graham X:

I've been out after mullet every day since the end of March, and have had countless bass to 4lb 4oz on plain old white breadflake, plus a few flounders, including one of 1lb 8oz. The local ragworm/peeler crab boys aren't getting a look-in. The mullet boys are catching all the bass round here.

What rig are using? from a boat or shore or estuary? Sounds interesting to me!

I used to catch a load of brown trout from small streams on cheese as a kid, dead easy to mould around the hook, great to free line and if you get hungry ... I prefer it to worms!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Guest sslatter

Dan:

What rig are you using? from a boat or shore or estuary?

Dan

Always from the estuary shore or pontoon. I usually use 5 or 6lb mainline with a 5lb swivelled hooklength, with a Drennan 5BB pin avon float, customised with a swan quill tip, "laid on" on the bottom, with a 6 or 8 barbless Drennan specimen hook. As it gets darker, I sometimes shallow up, and fish about 18" deep, trotting the tide flow. Now and again I'll use a 2 swan driftbeater in a slack, again fished hard on the bottom, or a 25g controller with floating crust, letting it drift with the flow. By far the most successful has been the pin avon set-up, "laid on" in shallow water close to the edge of a feature.

[ 28. September 2003, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Guest sslatter

Dan..BTW regarding black slugs,(not the olive-coloured ones) they can be a killer for chub, and I've caught perch on them as well, but they are the most disgusting things to remove from a fish's mouth if they've been mangled! Yuk! I've never tried them for any sea fishing, however.

Just had a thought, dangerous, I know!

How about cutting some bread up into bait sized portions, allowing it to dry out and then squirting the contents of a cod liver oil capsule onto it?

It might be easier to put it on the hook before drying.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net