UK rejects EU Fish Conservation Measures

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok mikec catch while you can, i think you'l find things a little diferent in a year or two. your mate bradshaw has also promised us anglers things, as he said in the debate on fisheries, in the house of commons 2nd dec, and i quote, britains most popular recreational pastime goes from strength to strength, the importance of angling,and sea angling in particular, has not always been reconised in the past and i want to give anglers a greater say in how we manage our fisheries. so if i was you i would not go in to any long lived contracts with spanish fish thieve's because you may not be able to deliver.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Thank you Norfolk Boy.

Actually Leon, DEFRA have just funded a study of channel cod in areas viid and ivc. Cod have been tagged with data storage tags(£6 reward and entry into free draw worth £1000!). The suggestion is that channel cod are a seperate stock from the North sea fish. These fish must like it hot.

Guest jay_con

I dont trust bradshaw though stavey, he says a lot of things. Seems to me he's trying to keep everyone happy - Standing up for the commercials against those horrible beaurocrats in brussels whilst promising us anglers things are going to change, sounds like he's full of **** too. Remember he is a politiceon afterall. What a coincidence it's almost election time.

Socksy Squirrel:

You mean a UKIP one and that is about as likely as tugmistress catching a flying fish off the Scottish coast.

Hmmm can I just say that a live still flapping Flying fish was found on a boat at Greenock on the Clyde 6 years ago.. so it aint as remote as you think :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Mikec:

Actually Leon, DEFRA have just funded a study of channel cod in areas viid and ivc. Cod have been tagged with data storage tags(£6 reward and entry into free draw worth £1000!). The suggestion is that channel cod are a seperate stock from the North sea fish. These fish must like it hot.

Yep, to get the fish up in good condition for data tagging, they use a rod and line!

(It takes the cod several days to get back down again! they go down aways, stop at that depth for a day maybe, before going down deeper in stages (it's all recorded by the data tag). Some returned tagged cod have managed to spawn)

(I was put in contact with the taggers having been to an Invest in Fish meeting and overheard one of the science guys talking about it, amazed that they were bringing up cod from quite a depth and releasing them successfully. I'd always thought that fish caught from wrecks were done for once they were caught by anglers, but it seems that catch and release fishing is possible from wrecks, should they be turned into marine protected areas)

One of the CEFAS scientists that went out to look at that stock was amazed at the number of angling charter boats they came across, and now seriously doubts the accuracy of the Drew report on the value of recreational angling. Apparently he thinks that they may have been a bit on the conservative side!

I hope that you get the prize Mike. And take a few days out from fish killing to celebrate ashore (rather than investing in new fish catching technology! LOL)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

@winter@:

I dont trust bradshaw though stavey, he says a lot of things. Seems to me he's trying to keep everyone happy - Standing up for the commercials against those horrible beaurocrats in brussels whilst promising us anglers things are going to change, sounds like he's full of **** too. Remember he is a politiceon afterall. What a coincidence it's almost election time.

From Uncorrected evidence given to EFRA sub-committee

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...2-i/uc12202.htm

"Q43 Ms Atherton: I would agree with you, but it is under-represented in terms of policy development and sustainability and in all the fora of the fishing industry. For example, the Sustainable Fisheries Programme has 50 participants of whom only one represents the inshore and shellfish sector. That is a very small voice when, if you look at the figures, the commercial fishery sector brings in the same as the recreational sea anglers who, very much in our part of the world, are a huge part of our economy. It is the same amount and yet we do not place anything like as much emphasis on this industry as we do on the commercial sector. What are you going to do to change that and to give them a proper voice?

Mr Bradshaw: My colleagues may want to comment on the makeup of the stakeholder group in a second, but I would agree that I think historically both the shellfish sector and the recreational angling sector have been under-represented in those bodies which have been critical in terms of our decision-making, but I think that is changing. Both are represented on the RACs, both are represented on the stakeholder group, and we have taken some specific policy decisions on cetaceans, for example, and other decisions to the benefit of the recreational angling sector. I am critically aware of the importance of the recreational angling sector to the UK's economy and am determined that they should have a voice. If you look at what is happening in the south-western fishery, for example, again they are represented there and making their voice heard and I think there is a recognition in the commercial catching sector that that is the way forward, that there are numerous bodies and groups that have an interest in how we manage our seas and that the recreational fishing sector are part of that group of interests."

Tight Lines - leon

ps I understand that the evidence taken from the angling representatives will be loaded on Monday or Tuesday at http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_com..._uk_fishing.cfm .

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I'm rather disappointed you have taken such a hostile attitude Leon. Perhaps if charter fishing boats have such an influence they can share in the 750 kilo per month cod quota and put back all the rest back. I'm sure their customers being anglers for fun and not pot wouldn't mind.

Norfolk Boy thanks again for your comments but to be honest I can't be bothered anymore. I thought that Leon at least was not blinded by such hostilty. 25 years ago when I finished my degree my mother went mad because I said I wanted to go into the fishing industry. She had read the Fishing News that I got every week. It was full of doom and gloom. Also of boats costing lots being launched.

Well 25 years later still doom and gloom and boats costing lots being launched.

Change what you can and accept what you can't. 25 years later I have more money than I need and tommorrow with a day of SW winds I expect a deck of lovely silvers.

The rest of you take up carp fishing I'm sure it will make you happier. Leave the sea to who it belongs.