a contraversial idea, but just an idea

Armarnold

In my experience, most mouth damage is caused by inexperience, over powerful unbalanced tackle, bad handling/unhooking, and the inability to play a fish.

All these are learned through a mixture of experience and common sense.

The culture of the 'instant angler' that seems to be widespread these days, I feel plays a big part.

The sight of an 'angler' starting out with a powerful, stiff rod, and a heavy line, who just 'winches' the fish in, is all too common now.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what im saying about hook pull, large carp often have mouth damage due to hooks slipping and tearing through the mouth, why many serious carp anglers use barbed hooks at the moment, surley a barbless treble would help to eliminate this??? :huh: and please remember this is just theoretical discussion too :)

I understand what you are saying. Barbless hooks from my experience do move a lot more than barbed hooks and can result in excessive tears in the carps mouth, Maybe having more than one point of contact with the fish my reduce the damage. I personly dont use barbless hooks when after carp tench etc unless the rules say so. As for using trebles for carp something else that would worry me would be stapleing the carps mouth shut during the fight and could cause it extra distress and lack of oxygen. Which means it might fight harder and you would still pull out of it causing serious mouth damage

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Ok Arnold, so what about "stitching up the mouth" with 1 point thro the top lip, and another thro the bottom?

Davy, I agree many books continued to include the treble and potato idea for some years after 1950, but pretty well every one I met had either never used the idea, or had confined it to history. Certainly never part of my armoury, and I was a very early carper :) I think some of those books even talked about "coils of line laid on the ground"

After all, we now have someone wishing to discuss it and it is 2008!!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I understand what you are saying. Barbless hooks from my experience do move a lot more than barbed hooks and can result in excessive tears in the carps mouth, Maybe having more than one point of contact with the fish my reduce the damage. I personly dont use barbless hooks when after carp tench etc unless the rules say so. As for using trebles for carp something else that would worry me would be stapleing the carps mouth shut during the fight and could cause it extra distress and lack of oxygen. Which means it might fight harder and you would still pull out of it causing serious mouth damage

very good point wayne,

Ok Arnold, so what about "stitching up the mouth" with 1 point thro the top lip, and another thro the bottom?

this is what i wanted den, a discussion on the subject with points raised about for and against, which i take on board equally,,,, im not saying this is a good idea.......(and to confirm its just an idea) i just wanted something to think/talk about :)

In my experience, most mouth damage is caused by inexperience, over powerful unbalanced tackle, bad handling/unhooking, and the inability to play a fish.

All these are learned through a mixture of experience and common sense.

The culture of the 'instant angler' that seems to be widespread these days, I feel plays a big part.

The sight of an 'angler' starting out with a powerful, stiff rod, and a heavy line, who just 'winches' the fish in, is all too common now.

John.

i couldnt agree with you more john, catching big fish is a serious business and many take the task on far to lightly if you ask me,, spot on ;)

I think some of those books even talked about "coils of line laid on the ground"

Including Mr Crabtree, but then he was trying to cast quite a long way with a centre pin reel and a spud the size of a hen's egg! The coils of line should, of course, be carefully laid on a sheet of oilcloth or brown paper. :)

Including Mr Crabtree, but then he was trying to cast quite a long way with a centre pin reel and a spud the size of a hen's egg! The coils of line should, of course, be carefully laid on a sheet of oilcloth or brown paper. :)

is there any ebook versions of these online,? id love to have a read

Sorry Davy, you will have to go back a bit further than the 50's to find carpers using trebles, even for spuds. Large single and a baiting needle did away with trebles even before I started in 1950 :)

As for the rest of the post by Arnold, I shall ignore it ....................

Den

OI OI,

Some people can't just talk without being a prat dont worry Arnold i can see where your comming from & yes it might be better but you wont know if you dont try it out. i might give it ago myself.

:D:D:D:D:D

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite