80lb shock leader and rig set up

Pompey Matt

The knots make it easier to break the line.

I do it myself when fishing over rough ground from a boat - 15lb line with two or three 'tight' overhand knots is guaranteed to snap before all the stretch is taken up by the weak link.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Jabee states it is very dangerous to cast with but I have seen this describe in detail for casting with on TV fishing programs on several occasions.

It is also used very widely by anglers because it is cheap.

It completely defeats the purpose of the shock leader.

I used to fish with a chap who used it on one of our rough ground marks, I no longer fish with him as he could not see what my point was. Shame because other than that we got on reallyn well but I did not want him ending up attending my funeral claiming it was a dreadful accident. :rolleyes:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest jay_con

If I understand you right, there is no rotton bottom clip involved so your weakest point is the strength of the weak line. If that is what you are saying then I can only describe it as absolute madness.

Jabees re: the knots. why not just use a weaker line if you want it to snap easier?

@AUTUMN@:

Jabees re: the knots. why not just use a weaker line if you want it to snap easier?

Still maintain some abrasion resistance that way while having the benefit of a lower breaking strain.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

80 lb isnt too heavy for a shockleader, and if anything it allows a bit of extra strength in the event of the line getting nicked on rocks and losing strength. A rotten bottom holds the lead onto the heavy line while casting, but then lets it go once in the water, leaving it only attached with a bit of lght line for the retrieve, so it snaps if it snags and you dont lose everything, just the lead

Quite right Autumn, but it has been shown on TV and is used widely amongst shore anglers fishing over rough ground.

And a lot of anglers using 30lb main line cast 4 to 6oz leads without a shock leader to avoid weed gathering on the shock leader knot. :rolleyes:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest jay_con

Absolute madness. Would be ok method for boat fishing but who would try and cast a lead with the weakest part of the set up being around 15 pound. An accident waiting to happen

going back to power casting with braid, i have just designed a extreme range carp rod for a well known rod firm and i was snapping 110 lb power pro with 4 ounce leads casting to ranges of 220yds.

If i had been power casting with 6 ounce leads on stiff beach rods i would hate to think what LB strain braid would be needed but definately 150lb +

Stick to nylon for shockleaders :)

Terry

KIR ;0)

my setup is 12 lbs to 15 lbs mainline

60lbs shockleader twice the length of the rod im using plus i use 6 oz leads mainly but also casts 8 oz leads with no trouble with a loop on the end so i can quick change my rigs

now i make my rigs on the spot i used the same line i used for shockleader usually greased weasel for the rig main line clipswivel on top and bottom bottom swivel will have one of those gemini clips previously shown on this thread for rotten bottom i then use the same line i use for my hok lengths with a couple of dry knots in to attach my weight to the clip [the weight it placed on the clip prior to casting so the rottom bottom doesnt snap]

i then hae what ever i feel comfortable on the rig hook wise one pennel for long casting with a bait clip or a couple of snoods i go knot bead swivel bead knot per hook length

easy and fast to do no fancy bits etc etc the 12lb main line helps you cast further btw and on the ofchance i actually hook a fish even close to that weight very rarely lol it deals with it more than adequatly

btw this is used on piers and beaches

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod