Photographic vanity ? ? ?

Sutton Warrior

Den has a point and I agree with it. The harsh reality is that it takes a laboratory to find some of the improvements that some folk rave about. In practical terms many claimed advantages of a lens don't make a hoot of difference to the pictures, not that the naked eye can see or the brain perceive anyway. If there is a difference, or shortcoming, just hit the 'enhance' button!

Photography and angling have one great similarity, both are subject to excess marketing hyperbole! Tackle tarts in angling, gadget geeks in photography?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Den has a point and I agree with it. The harsh reality is that it takes a laboratory to find some of the improvements that some folk rave about. In practical terms many claimed advantages of a lens don't make a hoot of difference to the pictures, not that the naked eye can see or the brain perceive anyway. If there is a difference, or shortcoming, just hit the 'enhance' button!

Photography and angling have one great similarity, both are subject to excess marketing hyperbole! Tackle tarts in angling, gadget geeks in photography?

Sorry Peter but I must disagree. One of the things that you pay for with a lens is it's speed. The faster the lens, the more you pay, and you don't need lab equipment to see the difference. No 'enhance' button is going to make up for having more photons hitting your film or ccd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_speed

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sorry Peter but I must disagree. One of the things that you pay for with a lens is it's speed. The faster the lens, the more you pay, and you don't need lab equipment to see the difference. No 'enhance' button is going to make up for having more photons hitting your film or ccd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_speed

Quite right, but most prime lenses are optimised at f8 or thereabouts. I do have a Zuiko 1.2 but I rarely use that facility as a means of gathering reduced light, more for its correspondingly reduced depth of field, and brighter view finder image.