Choosing a Floatation Suit

Mike Dodds

Mine is Shakespere one piece, used for boat all winter every winter. I've not fallen in to test it though! Its toasty warm, and no risk of draughts like a two piece. I wouldn't take the top off with a two piece cos if you fell in you'd look very silly floating upside down. If its not that cold I use an ocean sailing bib trousers and a Musto snug jacket with a lifejacket over. I'd probably last about a minute in the sea in that so I always use a lifeline when fishing alone. If you are worried about the cold then wear grandad thermals, nobody need know unless you are planning to score when fishing in mid winter, which we must all admit is unlikely... :D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike the new Sundridge Stormbeach is breathable - which may be an advantage if you plan to do some walking to winter shore marks.

The two-piece is around £100 squids.

Two-piece suits vary - on some the salopettes have floatation material incorporated, others have none at all.

Mike.

2 peice suits are more convenient? Just don`t disappear overboard with just the trousers on!! Your bottom half will have the added bouyancy, forcing your business end down. !!!!

Floatation suits should be worn as a whole, either 1 or 2 peices. Apart from helping you stay afloat, they`re meant to save you from hypothermia!!

In good weather a simple lifejacket will keep you afloat. Floatation suits are double purpose. To keep you afloat and keep you warm and dry.

I`ve got a Sundridge Proff` 1 peice. Wonderful in cold wet stormy weather. An absolute pig in warm summer wet weather!!

I`m just happy to see you want to buy a suit.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Mike Dodds:

:confused: again

WHen shore fishing do many of you wear a self inflating lifejacket, or do you jsut rely on a floatation suit and perhaps a lifeline?

Just rely on a floatation suit.

Only on cold, wet and windy conditions.

This is when the Two Piece comes into its own, when it gets to warm you can take the jacket off.

I've noticed that some say they only wear a one piece, as it stops the draught, what draught!!!

I've fished on Boat & On Shore with many anglers over the years, some not choosing to wear a floatation suit. The comfort a floatation suit gives when fishing has to be tried.

Wear an Auto Lifejacket, every boat trip.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

quote:

Just don`t disappear overboard with just the trousers on!! Your bottom half will have the added bouyancy, forcing your business end down
That would be the same if you wore plain salopettes and had a been on the Guiness and a vindaloo to follow the night before :D

KennyC:

That would be the same if you wore plain salopettes and had a been on the Guiness and a vindaloo to follow the night before :D

That is the one serious downside of a one-piece. If you let off a rich one the only way out is through the neck which by my calculations is about four inches from your nose - and there's nowhere to hide!

:D:D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

As part of a sea survival course, I had to jump in to a pool wearing my own one piece flotation suit and a lifejacket. The suit trapped so much air in the legs section, it was impossible to get upright in the water. It took some minutes of serious effort to expel the air so that I could kick my legs. If I hadn't been wearing a lifejacket, I'm pretty sure I would have struggled to keep my head above water.

We then had to get into an inflated liferaft, those people wearing suits without a belt or other form of grab really struggled to get in the raft.

I don't know the fladen suit, but it should have some form of grab so that rescuers can get hold of something, to pull you aboard a raft or rescue boat.

bob@3dsportfishing:

I don't know the fladen suit, but it should have some form of grab so that rescuers can get hold of something, to pull you aboard a raft or rescue boat.

Thanks for that, I'll look carefully. I remember from capsizing a Wayfarer dinghy how difficult it can be to get back in the boat!