What improvments would you like to see !

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi All.

Out of interest, are there any ideas ,or improvments you would suggest, or would like to see put into place in the different Kayak Models we fish from, to help improve safety etc.

Id like to see..... Bulkheads ( airtight spaces inside the hull) as standard in all sit on top Kayaks, especialy where hatches ( Large and small ) are concerned, and even, if there are no hatches.

Possibly moulded in Flushmount rod holders.

With EVERY fishing kayak sold, a basic set of SAFETY suggestions, relating to ALWAYS wearing a P.F.D. having a paddle leashe,and especialy learning re entry drills etc.

Not everybody is lucky enough to have access to the internet and the information on offer here.

Some will see a guy fishing from a Kayak while stood on a beach, and think.....I can do that!

Clear, and to the point guidelines couldnt do any harm.

Ohh......and make em cheaper too!!! :rolleyes::D

Bill

The biggest problem is, fishing from a kayak is an extension of kayaking. Newcomers might think they can fish straight away, without learning to kayak safely first, because they are only thinking of getting out there and catching more fish. Not always the case either, you can blank on a kayak.

How do you impress on a keen angler that he should learn to kayak competently first?

Kayak fishing is a steep learning curve, nothin like sorting out your first tangle of three mackerel twisted around each other with the rig in a right mess while bobbing up and down on a choppy sea and sharp hooks trying to get you!

You then realise how user friendly a beach really is.

As for the kayaks, I think manufacturers have jumped on the fishing bandwagon, without too much thought given to what the kayak angler needs.

Moulded in rodholders would be nice and strong, and cutting a hatch in a watertight hull seems madness to me.

Why not fit bulkheads for and aft, with the hatch in the small compartments, and the main centre compartment filled with bouyancy, making the kayak unsinkable even with flooded end compartments.

The hatch lids should screw on with a rubber seal, with a handle moulded onto the hatch cover for secure grip.

A Compass could be built into the kayak, as nobody should go to sea without one anyway.

A watertight flare compartment, suitably marked. would be handy.

It would then look as if kayak manufacturers were taking safety seriously.

The sticker on my kayak says something like 'kayaking is a dangerous sport, and can result in serious injury or death'!

Hardly a safety culture there then.

My kayak has a purpose fitted safety grab rope all around the hull, something missing on most sit-on-tops, and it's really handy when you go in and just grab for the kayak.

I fitted a thicker rope, so I can carry the kayak using the rope.

A rear storage compartment could be quite large and self draining, with the scupper hole going through the hull, with a mesh over the hole to prevent small objects being lost or getting stuck in the hole, and a strong hinged lid.

I know this will add to the cost, but how much do anglers spend fitting all sorts of mods to their kayaks?

I can't see much of a weight increase, as most items would be moulded in.

Might as well spend the extra on a properly fitted out kayak in the first place.

Must stop, RSI is setting in !

Bulkheads (2 please) definately & moulded in fittings for cam cleats(they can be a pain in ar*e to fit) apart from that i'm quite happy to do any other modifications myself although perhaps a moulded screw down hatch to fit over the rear tankwell would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a 16' 6" scupper pro (with a carrying capacity of about 500lbs) with front and rear hatches (no tankwell but complete with neoprene hatch covers to ensure a watertight seal) a centre transducer scupper as per the elite, a rod pod(also with some form of decent seals) 2 bulkheads to seal off the fore and aft storage compartments and to stop and movement of water throughout the hull should it get any at any point, moulded in fittings for an anchor trolley, cleats etc and moulded in recessed rod holders, oh and a fitted rudder. That'll do me, oh and it can stay in polyethylene as i have no interest in doubling or tripling the price. Moulded in solas reflective material on both the top and underside of the hull would be nice as well.

Edited by snakey1

How about a 16' 6" scupper pro (with a carrying capacity of about 500lbs) with front and rear hatches (no tankwell but complete with neoprene hatch covers to ensure a watertight seal) a centre transducer scupper as per the elite, a rod pod(also with some form of decent seals) 2 bulkheads to seal off the fore and aft storage compartments and to stop and movement of water throughout the hull should it get any at any point, moulded in fittings for an anchor trolley, cleats etc and moulded in recessed rod holders, oh and a fitted rudder. That'll do me, oh and it can stay in polyethylene as i have no interest in doubling or tripling the price. Moulded in solas reflective material on both the top and underside of the hull would be nice as well.

looks like Ocean Kayaks read your mind Snakey,the latest NZ SPTWs have the centre transducer scupper as per the elite ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

looks like Ocean Kayaks read your mind Snakey,the latest NZ SPTWs have the centre transducer scupper as per the elite ;)

I noticed that on the photos on one of the threads on anglersafloat richi, i always thought it was a far better way than using the scupper holes in the footwells like the american models do, dead easy to install(no need for sikaflex or other glues) and keeps everything neat and out of the way(avoids having the transducer mounted inside the hull which can cause issues with storage occasionally), Oh and while they're in mind reading time i'd still like to see the fish finder displays for kayaks made available in a brighter colour(orange or yellow), i mean its great that they float but because they're grey & black there a real pig to spot in the surf (yes i have had to find one that came loose after a wipe out in some particularly interesting surf)

Edited by snakey1

Hi Snakey1

16 ' 6" :o .....thats an ocean going liner, not a fishing kayak :D;)

Wonder what difference the extra length would make to the weight of the Yak?

I reckon she woud be nearer 60/65lbs?

Would you not miss the tank well?

Bill.:)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Snakey1

16 ' 6" :o .....thats an ocean going liner, not a fishing kayak :D;)

Wonder what difference the extra length would make to the weight of the Yak?

I reckon she woud be nearer 60/65lbs?

Would you not miss the tank well?

Bill.:)

Hi Bill

The extra length would no doubt increase the weight as would the bulkheads but you can't gain the extra bits without gaining some weight besides the cobra expedition is advertised as being 18' long 23.5" wide and weighing in at an anorexic 48lbs (although i do find that hard to believe) and my prowler elite is advertised as weighing 30.4kg or 67lbs so i'm already used to that sort of weight. My idea is for something easily capable of multiple day rough camping trips and covering long distances as well as being used for as a fishing base(OK 16' 6" maybe a little long so i'll accept 16' instead :D )i don't fresh water fish so i don't need the yak to be as agile as someone who uses on on a river and would prefer the extra speed gained by the added length and decreased width(yes i know its not quite that simple).

Would I miss the the tank well? possibly(maybe a compromise then with a small, about one third size tankwell to store an anchor rig when not in use and any fish caught would be advisable) but with a rod pod with a decent seal and bulkheads in place for safety i think i'd be able to carry all the fishing gear i need in the central storage area(i don't carry a huge amount of fishing gear) while the front and rear storage can then be used for the trolley/camping gear evenly distributing the weight and avoiding the gear getting mixed up.

Well thats my thoughts at the moment anyway.

Snakey1

Edited by snakey1