conger tips

tack4

after a poor session at coreswall light house due to very snaggy ground came back into stranraer and fished at the pier behind railway station as had been told chance of conger

this would be a new species for me so of me and a mate went

fished with 8/0 bronzed o'shaugnesy's 80lb wire trace and a good length of 50lb shockleader to aid handlinling up pier

we had two sets of big knocks on the baited rods unsure of when to strike so let things / develop

result pulled under pier freed but no hook up and no mackeral head n shouders left

other bait mauled and again no hook up

any tips guys as planning another sesssion this week fishing 2-3 hrs up and down from high tide ie 9pm - 2am hw midnight

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only go with the ones ive had at lochaline, and it seems to work brill..... Ive been smashed up back in tyhe days a good few times down the southwest in rough ground/unprepared. Cut down your bait size, smallest fresh mackeral you can find, and make it into a flapper. 6/O 8/O hooks... must use at least 100lb mono hooklegnth- no need at all for wire, but you do(!!!) need a long leader, depend how deep your fishing but when the baits on the bottom make sure your leader (preferably 100lbs also) is still on the reel. Not realy sure of best times to hook into the fsh, but its initial crab like taps should be ignored, and hoit the fish as you feel it reversing, hopefully before it manages to get into its hole!

They are magic!

Tight Lines

Shaun

Guest conger tamer

il go with that shaun,but the 100lb leader still on the spool is a bit OTT! i must admit i do use a triple length 80lb leader and medium size bait is a very good choice for shy biters :)

Hiya CT... I would have thaught the same, i used to use 80lb leader but it kept snapping with fish on through abrasion. Infact the last one i had on the bank was a fortnight ago- a good double! I was using 80lb leader. A bloke grabbed the 80lb line for me when the fish was high and dry and decided to drag it up the rocks abit, one spin and a headshake and 80lb leader was no more!!! Snapped like cotton. Short range hit and hold congering is fun, but when the fish have lots of holes to get into i err on the safe side of cation :P:P:D Out of 7 congers ive hooked specifically targeting them, ive landed three... Not just your average fish to try and out-wit are they???

Tight Lines

Shaun

Guest conger tamer

a little tip is to have a big hook on a bit of 6mm rope as soon as it is clear of the water hook it under the chin it can spin as much as it likes theni have seen many big eels lost by a do gooder grabbing the leader but as it is only a short length between hand and fish it will break very easily. dont you just love em :D :mad:

Andrew are you in danger of catching a fish mate?

See you next weekend and tight lines

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I think I will still try it with a short wire trace

I'm going up to Lochaline in a few weeks so might see how it works.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

tack.

I think shaun is an exception? You can`t usualy find a conger on your leader.

The only time I see the pier at Lochaline is if I take the wrong turning out of the social.

Shaun, you know why Davy puts the bits of rubber over the skate bait hooks. To stop the congers nicking them!

Congers can be pests when it comes to fishing for them at close quarters. You have to have a heavy leader, because they`re found around rocks, rusty wrecks or other snaggy ground. They tend to `chomp` their way up the bait, unless they`re one of the larger beasts, which you don`t want to meet on the leader!!!!

Then, they will simply take enough of the bait, so as to maintain most of their meal and retreat.

But. When they are hungry they will take anything offered.

Advise? Heavy leader. Fresh bloody bait. And be prepared to stop the sod getting home! That`s when all the problems start.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi Spasor,

As i was saying to the folks on the wekend, i think the conger rulebook needs scraping!!! I tried exactly what davy does elsewhere lately....In the clyde at a mark i didnt know held congers... Broad daylight(bright sunshine) 5 yards underarm plop, 5 foot of water and 30 seconds untill i was into my 1st fish. Ok so abit more snaggy than LA so i lost my 1st two but eventualy banked one!I thaught LA was just an exception to the conger 'rules'... Maybe not

See yer in a fortnight :D

Tight Lines

Shaun