All quiet on the mullet front.

Guest sslatter

Guest sslatter

It’s been quiet on the forum regarding mullet, so here’s an update from down my way. The local public pontoons and town pathways have been murder, with gangs of schoolkids swimming and divebombing, and the swanfeeders have been out in force too. The local mulleteers have given up on these usual hotspots, which should improve next week when the schools go back. Fed up with all this, I went off scouting last Friday, and discovered a little gem of a hidden swim which produced fish of 4.00 and 5.08 on Friday evening and Saturday morning, laying on with flake, with 4 bonus bass to boot. The marsh creeks are beginning to yield up some fish, with thicklips of 4.06 and 4.10 on my last two trips, one to a floater, and one on trotted flake.

BTW I've been dying my bread mash with dayglo pink, and it really does seem to work! It shows up well in the water, and I've seen mullet swim past over ordinary white groundbait, and then do a "double take" and turn round and investigate the pink stuff that I've put a bit further on in the swim.

How’s everyone else doing?

to be honest........crap.

The last mullet I saw was last Saturday, a thin lip that came and checked me out whilst diving, then sped off.

The previous one I actually caught was weeks and weeks ago. Phil Whiting has been over for most of August and, like me, is unable to explain that total crapness of the mulleting here at the moment!!

A guy at work was at Port William at the weekend ,he said the harbour was absolutely full of Mullet and try as he could, he couldn't temp one onto the hook. They would take bread flake floating thro' the water, but when he put it on a hook, nothing. I'm hoping to go down with him soon. :cool:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Norrie:

They would take bread flake floating thro' the water, but when he put it on a hook, nothing. I'm hoping to go down with him soon. :cool:

That is mullet for you. Mega frustrating.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks to Medway Tinca inviting me out to fish, I landed two fish from the Medway today, and lost one.

The larger fish, at 3lb 12oz had definately been feeding on Weetabix!!! (my arms still ache!).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust