Ray ID

JimLad

Hiya,

Sam.. you need to brush up on your Ray ID, :)it's a juvenile Thornie. The eyes are way too big in relation to the body size for it to be a Small Eyed :)

[ 02. January 2005, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya,

There is no way it's a Cuckoo, below is an old pic of a Cuckoo I caught back in 94

Posted Image

As you can see the shape is wrong as is the markings, Cuckoo's have perfectly round Black wing spots that are covered in small cream lines.. basically the reverse of what is on the small Thornie above :)

Sorry but you are still wrong.. it's a juvenile Thornback Ray (raja clavata) :):)

[ 03. January 2005, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hi

It's definatley a thornback, My reasons for saying this is by the shape and the angle of the leading wing. The markings on the wings are often found on cuckoos, Blondes, thornbacks and spotted rays, and to add to the confusion Hybrids have been officially identified in Luce Bay.

I once sent pictures to the Natural museum of a fish that was jet black. I thought i had caught something different but it turned out, it was a thornback living in a coal barge that went down in the 50's

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk