Hythe report wednesday

maidstonemike

Arrived at Hythe at 10am, just after high. Chatted to a beach angler, only whiting he said, but some codling were caught last night.

We watched a fishing boat dropping gill nets about 500yds out along Hythe seafront! I was so angry, I though about just going home again. What chance have we got?

Manage to throw off the goom, and kitted up, takes a while with a kayak.

Launched into a fairly calm sea, the wind was a bit stronger than I had expected, nice day though.

The tide was quite strong, and with the wind, my small jet-ski anchore didn't hold, so before I knew it, I was half way to Sandgate!

Paddled back to my mark into a stiff head wind, and dropped anchor again. This time it held.

Whiting straight away, some two at a time.

Soon had a dozen keepers, one around the two pound mark.

This went on for three hours, by now it was only one and a half hours to low water.

Then a hefty thump on the rod, this was a proper fish. Slowly reeled him in, and it was too heavy to lift with my rod, so I grabbed it's tail and the trace,

My first Cod this year, and the first on the kayak!

A very plump 8 pounder!

The sun was setting fast, it got cooler, so I decided to quit while I was ahead.

I had succeeded in my goal, to catch a Cod off the kayak in daylight. The fact that it was nearly low water was a surprise, no tide run.

Can't wait for the next session, got to recover from this one first though!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived at Hythe at 10am, just after high. Chatted to a beach angler, only whiting he said, but some codling were caught last night.

We watched a fishing boat dropping gill nets about 500yds out along Hythe seafront! I was so angry, I though about just going home again. What chance have we got?

Manage to throw off the goom, and kitted up, takes a while with a kayak.

Launched into a fairly calm sea, the wind was a bit stronger than I had expected, nice day though.

The tide was quite strong, and with the wind, my small jet-ski anchore didn't hold, so before I knew it, I was half way to Sandgate!

Paddled back to my mark into a stiff head wind, and dropped anchor again. This time it held.

Whiting straight away, some two at a time.

Soon had a dozen keepers, one around the two pound mark.

This went on for three hours, by now it was only one and a half hours to low water.

Then a hefty thump on the rod, this was a proper fish. Slowly reeled him in, and it was too heavy to lift with my rod, so I grabbed it's tail and the trace,

My first Cod this year, and the first on the kayak!

A very plump 8 pounder!

The sun was setting fast, it got cooler, so I decided to quit while I was ahead.

I had succeeded in my goal, to catch a Cod off the kayak in daylight. The fact that it was nearly low water was a surprise, no tide run.

Can't wait for the next session, got to recover from this one first though!

Hi Mike

Sounds like you had a nice productive day out there.

Congrats on the Cod...8lb.......Nice fish.:fishing:

Hope you recover soon, ready for the next sorte :D

Bill. :)

Nice one Mike - wish I could have joined in the fun .....

Bummer re the gill netter .... at least you scored a nice coddy .....

Am taking my son (7yrs) down to Hythe beach for an hour or so on Saturday ... hope to see a few fish then as well. :)

Could you or Yakity yak explain what an 'anchor trolley' is and how it is set up. Also is it worth putting one together .... thanks

See you soon I hope

Dan

Dan - they can give you details but if you do a google images search for anchor trolly you will see quite a few excellent photos to give you ideas on how they are rigged and how they work.

anchor_trolly2.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I don't use a trolly system on my kayak. I have a safety rope all around the deck feeding through deck rings. I have a large caribiner on the end of my anchor rope, and depending on which way the tide is running and wind is blowing, I clip the caribiner onto the safety rope. The deck rings stop it travelling, so I have lots of choices as to where I fix it. Sometimes forward, sometimes aft.

I can adjust the way the kayak sits to the wind and waves, makes it much more comfortable for fishing.

Edited by maidstonemike

Thanks Newt .... I think I will have a look at the way the local guys set upsbefore deciding on what way to go.

Whilst here might as well ask - a friend has seen my kayak and is interested in getting hinself one so if anyone knows of one for sale please let me know. He lives in Hythe so would prefer to get one locally.

Thanks again for the advice ..

Dan

Thanks Newt .... I think I will have a look at the way the local guys set upsbefore deciding on what way to go.

Whilst here might as well ask - a friend has seen my kayak and is interested in getting hinself one so if anyone knows of one for sale please let me know. He lives in Hythe so would prefer to get one locally.

Thanks again for the advice ..

Dan

I can see the day when there will be a flotilla at Hythe! Shall we start a Kent kayak fishing club?