MAGGOTS

Armarnold

Further to Simons post, I use a method that I find a bit less work. :D

I get two big jars, (I used to use 3lb coffee jars, but have now got hold of a couple of those big 'sweet' jars).

Glue the lids back to back, and drill plenty of 3mm holes through them both. Clean off the 'burrs' so that both sides of the holes are smooth.

Put you maggots in one of the jars, and screw on the lid. Then screw on the other one, so that it acts like an hour glass.

Turn it so that the empty one is at the bottom, and the 'live maggots will crawl through, leaving behind any that have 'turned'. When the maggots have passed through, just unscrew the top one and empty the casters into a poly' bag. Screw the jar back on and turn over to repeat the process.

Store casters as Simon said.

I hope all that makes sense.

John.

That's brilliant mate. How come the best ideas always seem patently obvious afterwards?? I'll have to rig that up. I've actually got a load of huge coffee jars that I used for minnow traps but the lids have the centre cut out. I guess I could just make a little mesh riddle for two jars. Top idea that is.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's brilliant mate. How come the best ideas always seem patently obvious afterwards?? I'll have to rig that up. I've actually got a load of huge coffee jars that I used for minnow traps but the lids have the centre cut out. I guess I could just make a little mesh riddle for two jars. Top idea that is.

I can't take full credit for it Andy.

Years ago I made a riddle that fit into a large jar, and it worked great. Until it got knocked over a couple of times and I was in the 'dog house' for a while. :(

Then someone started selling a smaller version of 'the two jars' idea, and I converted mine to do the same. I haven't seen the commercial version on sale for years.

I'll add a couple of things that I should have put in my post.

Don't put too many maggots in, (no more than half full), they can sweat and bung up the holes. It also gives them enough air. (You can put some small (I stress small :D ) holes in the jars to ventilate them, but you get a pile of powder on the floor around it).

Don't put it in a place that is too warm for the same reason.

Check it at least twice a day, preferably more often.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I find it much easier to sort maggots out (get rid of old saw dust, casters and dead ones) if i put them in a big tray.

Same month old maggots cleaned up.

post-10964-1226663187_thumb.jpg

Their easy to get away from the old saw dust if you just shake them from side to side and lift off hand fulls of clean maggots.

post-10964-1226663221_thumb.jpg

Fresh saw dust and back in bait box ready to go for a swim or back in the fridge.

post-10964-1226663249_thumb.jpg

If you keep them clean, cool and dry they will last for weeks a this time of year.

Brian.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Few basic tips for keeping maggots:

1) When you buy them get them home as soon as possible or decant into a bigger container with fresh fine sawdust and plenty of air circulation

2) Turn your fridge temp down until the maggots barely move (they will last for weeks)

3) Use as big a container as you can to store them with a tight sealing lid with a hole cut in centre of lid for air circulation

4) Go to your local timber merchant, tell them you need FINE SAWDUST for keeping maggots, take a couple of black bin liners and fill up

5) Riddle maggots regularly (every other day ideal) and change the fine sawdust to keep them dry

6) If you forget and they get slightly moist in the fridge, do 2 changes of fine sawdust an hour or so in between, the first change will take away most of the moisture with the old sawdust removed replaced with fresh sawdust and second change they should be dry again

7) Only take out the maggots you intend using on the day, i.e. if you intend using a pint and have 3 pints in the fridge take out a pint and a half, keeping the other maggots for the next session

8) Get in the habit of keeping a container of fine sawdust in the car and transporting to and from your fishing session with the maggots in dry sawdust, you will also need a riddle in the car. If you live 5 minutes from your fishing venue then its not so important but if your travelling for an hour or two in a car with the heating on it will help to keep your maggots dry and in tip top condition.

9) When you arrive at your fishing destination, riddle and sprinkle with cornflour, you can buy this cheaply from asian supermarkets, this will keep them dry and nice to use when catapulting out and you wont get an eye full of sawdust!

10) Keeping maggots chilled right down and dry - thats what will make them last longer and a nice clean bait to use. Just need to check them now and again.

11) If there's no room in the family fridge a cheapy second hand fridge kept in the garage or shed is even better. Hope this helps.

Edited by Jeffwill

3) Use as big a container as you can to store them with a tight sealing lid with a hole cut in centre of lid for air circulation

My misses wouldn't stand for having a hole in the lid, so the best i can do is make sure the breather holes are clear. They seem to do OK with that so long as the box is only half full at most.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Put them in the fridge in a wet bait tub. Remember to take the top off though or they might sweat.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Put them in the fridge in a wet bait tub. Remember to take the top off though or they might sweat.

Err...They can climb out of a wet bait tub with the lid off... :o

Err...They can climb out of a wet bait tub with the lid off... :o

True, but placed somewhere cool, with the lid off, and not too deeply layered, they don't sweat and get wet! I was nervous/sceptical too 'till I tried it. Lid off worked fine for me. :)

Geoff