Any electricians here please?

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

With the mfa headlight there is a little inline device that reduces the power needed by the light so you get longer use from the battery. Anychance this could be blown? or would that cause the lamp not to work at all?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably the best bet would be to connect a large 6v bulb directly to the battery ,get a current measurement from the bulb or use a multimeter ,then divide this into the stated ampage of the battery once the bulb goes dim from full charge this will tell you if the battery is duff,a battery analogue clock through a voltage adaptor stops giving you the exact time from start to finish if you forget about it,dont forget to measure the complete current drain of all components once in the curcuit.

also check VERY carefully using a magnifyer the wires coming out of the charger they are prone to fraying and so shorting ,a good charger with have short circuit protection but their not very good at low current ,they can fray within the sleave that stops them fraying. :rolleyes:

[ 25. November 2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest jay_con

Charger has a light on which goes out once the battery is charged. This still appears to be working. Ie it goes out after the usual amount of time.

This 'inline device' is a 'high / low' switch I take it?

If so does it work?

Can you check its connections?

Still think its duff / coroded connectors but one new battery would be worth trying.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Guest jay_con

the inline device is sealed in a plastic case, its something like a resister type thingy, it drops the amount of power the lamp uses so you get longer life from your battery.

Ive had my petzl on for 5 hours solid now and all is well, this makes me think there is something wrong with the light.

especially if the petzel bulb is the high output ones ,they eat 4.5v batteries i have 2 petzel zooms 1 with ordinary bulbs 1 krypton? ,once my stock of batteries have gone they will be converted to rechargeables and the bulbs converted to L.E.D.`s

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson