Save our Sharks

Ian Burrett

Hi All and thanks for the fantastic responce.

After many postings and ideas, the conservation group "Save our Sharks" was launched, with already over 20 interested members from just this and one other Forum.

There are many ideas being banded about at the moment but hopefully we will have some web/Forum presence by this weekend, and things will start to fit into place.

We are anxious that the website doesn't start as a front page with no content.

if you have any shark stories, anecdotes, pictures, we need tham now. Please email/pm sandtiger. This is important.

Once the Forum is up and running we can use it to establish our aims and objectives.

[ 05. September 2005, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Ian Burrett ]

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see this project is off and running.

I decided to stay out of the argy-bargy of choosing a name - I don't much mind what the project is called because what counts is what it DOES.

Norma and I am very strongly in favour of introducing/co-operating in any tagging schemes that are available, and I hope "Save our Sharks" will get involved with some.

Tagging generates interest in a species over and above recreational fishing. Interest in growth rates, in longevity, in migration and dispersion, in the general well-being of the species etc etc. It also provides valuable information on populations which hopefully lead to better decisions on conservation and management.

Tagging also gives an angler a "personal stake" (for want of a better term) in his/her fish. Ask Davy Holt !

It gives me a great lift to know there are skate out there over 200 lb with "my" tags in - likewise Norma's tagged 900 lb plus blue marlin. We will scrutinise every reported "grander" from now on to see if it might be No 111805 with an extra season's growth.

So we are up for any tagging scheme, which we will help support both physically (by actually tagging) and financially.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks Leon - have already been in touch with Ken Collins of ukshark.

What I am really getting at is whether "Save our Sharks" intend to get involved - I know it is early days yet, but I'm making the suggestion that we should. I know Ian Burrett's outfit already does this, but how about extending it?

[ 06. September 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

tuggs:

1. We already have some tags etc here   :D     :D  

2. just waiting to catch the big boys  

2. Thought you just had. What tag number is Sand Tiger please, and how much did he weigh? demon demon

RNLI Governor

Vagabond:

Glad to see this project is off and running.

I decided to stay out of the argy-bargy of choosing a name - I don't much mind what the project is called because what counts is what it DOES.

Norma and I am very strongly in favour of introducing/co-operating in any tagging schemes that are available, and I hope "Save our Sharks" will get involved with some.

Tagging generates interest in a species over and above recreational fishing.  Interest in growth rates, in longevity, in migration and dispersion, in the general well-being of the species etc etc.  It also provides valuable information on populations which hopefully lead to better decisions on conservation and management.

Tagging also gives an angler a "personal stake" (for want of a better term) in his/her fish.  Ask Davy Holt !

It gives me a great lift to know there are skate out there over 200 lb with "my" tags in - likewise Norma's tagged 900 lb plus blue marlin. We will scrutinise every reported "grander" from now on to see if it might be No 111805 with an extra season's growth.

So we are up for any tagging scheme, which we will help support both physically (by actually tagging) and financially.

Hi Vagabond.

I am already tied to the Uk shark tagging programme and hopefully all the Uk Taggers will come on board.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk