How do i catch creek mullet

Tyke

I have noticed big mullet topping in Tetney creek and would like to have a bash at catching one or two.

There is a gate that opens and the mullet tend to swim up the tidal creek where the gate and outflow is.

I will be using coarse fishing tackle and was thinking of bread or worm as bait and trotting it down the creek.

I have read that mullet can be very hard to catch and any info will be appreciated.

After looking at chippy's website and seeing the Mullet he as cought it as wetted my appetite.http://www.chippyjersey.co.uk/

Guest sslatter

Hi Tyke..

Try finding a slack by a feature, and then "lay on" the bottom, with a float, with breadflake as bait, and every now-and-then, some mushy bread groundbait, like mash or liquidised, but don't overdo it. Don't be afraid to fish in a very shallow swim, but keep as unobtrusive as possible.They can spook easily.(If the swim is deep, with a fair amount of flow, then make your groundbait heavy enough so that it reaches the bottom without being washed away). Don't expect too many stonking takes, mullet can be quite gentle, and expect a fair proportion of missed bites.

While you're doing this, introduce a few floaters, and see if the mullet start taking them. If they do, then you can try a floater, either on a controller, or freelined, or as a submerged pop-up, or a fixed floater, rather like a "zig-rig" set-up.

Don't expect the mullet to stay in one place either. They move around a lot, from feature to feature. They're very active fish when they're on the feed. So don't worry too much if you don't get bites straightaway. If they're about, they'll come around to investigate sooner or later.

One last thing..when you hook one, at first they often feel like a small fish, but don't be fooled by this. Be prepared for fireworks when it realises that something is "wrong", i.e. that it's been hooked. So set your clutch properly (if you play fish off the clutch) or make sure that your anti-reverse is off. And don't panic! Good luck. They are great fish to catch. :D

Thanks for that info Graham x

I need to suss out the tides in the creek as when i saw the mullet the tide was on its way out.

I suspose they do come to outflows looking for food so ill see if i can find a slack area near it.

At the moment the weather is vile so ill wait till it picks up a bit.

I may take a walk down with my dog and drop some floating bread in and see if the mullet do take it before i try for them.

You are right about them spooking easily as i saw 3 mullet then they just dissapeard.

I just checking out chippy's website on the best tackle to use.

Graham X:

...at first they often feel like a small fish, but don't be fooled by this. Be prepared for fireworks when it realises that something is "wrong"...

I'll second that. I caught my first mullet last night. It was 'only' 3lb 10oz and it went sort of tug, tug, tug and then it took off. I could not back wind fast enough for it and had to just 'let go' the reel handle. It felt like I had hooked a combine harvester!

Keep at it, you'll catch one in the end.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I catch most of my mullet "trotting" a float with bread flake, on a size 14 hook.

Usually the float is set not more than 3ft deep.

Good Luck. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "