Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Brian Carragher:

totally agree jaffa. It never fails to surprise me when someone posts 'facts' against commercials that they are so wrong that they become offensive especially when they profess to have intimate knowledge of the industry.

Sometimes people embarrass themselves talking about an industry that they are supposed to know something about when in fact their knowledge is limited and their personal experience is practically nil.

As I've said before the commercial and recreational fishermen can and will work together but only when the one way abuse stops. Funny how abuse from the commercial sector towards recreational fishermen never materialises

My point is that Working for the nesfc does not make you the fountain of all knowledge. In fact in my humble opinion Either this body knows very little about what is happening in the sea or they are fully aware of what is happening but perhaps turn a blind eye?.

Jaffa I agree totally that lobster stocks may be in trouble. But who knows the real situation. If as some people suggest the huge amount of black fish landed in the uk has been misrecorded as shellfish then who knows the real situation. Someone like your self with a strong beleif in science will be well aware that that science is only as good as the data that is used.

Might not make you the "fountain of all knowledge", who has that?, but surely means you might have an inkling that is more than most of us have?

When did I say Lobster stocks were in trouble? around here they have been hammered for decades but because the recruitment is coming from somewhere else it works well and they keep coming.

IMHO the science was screwed through bad data long before blackfish. Science was always behind the commercials because it became detached when the quotas arrived.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest jay_con

Sorry jaffa. I misread your post.

I think lobster stocks may be in trouble. But Locally they appear to be thriving as there is huge landings of them. Is it lobsters they are landing or

Blackfish ? I guess we will never know the whole truth.

Go have a look. A lot of sunday evenings in the summer a big lorry arrives at Arbroath in the middle of the night. From a distance looks like blackfish but get up close and its a refrigerated shellfish truck bound for the continent and well worth some time chatting to the driver and seeing what they do and why.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest jay_con

whereabouts are you jaffa?

If I went nosing on our fish key at midnight I would end up with a broken nose and 2 blackeye's, or even worse.

A couple of years ago a chap took a few pics of one of the boats landing. It ended up with him been injured and his camera deposited in the drink. I wont be going anywhere near the fish key in the dead of night.

Most of the lobsters here are bought by one chap who keeps them in holding penns and then sells them on.

The lobster catches seem to be good all over, localy the lobster stocks seem healthy, also the seasons are longer, I am told that they regulary relese berried lobsters that are under size,

and Cris do you not think the milder climate is to the lobsters likeing.

@spring@ It's quite easy to tell the diference, one has claws the other hasn't.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest jay_con

To you and I wurzel yes. To the scarlet pimponel perhaps not.

Brian ? do you know what hours the NESFC workers keep these days?