Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

Worzel lobsters are getting to much hammer up here and it is only a matter of time before they are in trouble,there was a couple of trawlers years ago went potting for part of the year and scene netting in summer thet used to work 400potts per boat they are now no longer here,decomishened i think there is 1 ex trawler doing it working 2000potts thats the trouble greed takes over

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

No Im too far behind now, the top 2 are very good indeed with many years knowledge. Im on for my best ever fisnish though Im gaurunteed fourth and am currently in third with a 6 pound lead over 4th. I also was best placed rod in both our open matches finishing 5th and 3rd out of over 100. I actually won some penn sea league points for the third place (ive put them with my chocolate fire guard). All in all Ive had a good year, relatively speaking of course. The clubs overall weights and amount of fish are the lowest on record.

Well done spring you have to be extra keen to do well, maybe next year you could hit number 1 spot but you will have to shoot dennis first he is good very good put a lot of time in to gain the knowledge, and the bait factor is massive thing i think the velvet thing does make a massive difference if i get a bad weather day in june i will try and get some this year dennis swears by them, but think about it they have over run the scaurs got to be a big natural bait cod love them

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

I lost over 100 big velvets when that bloody freezer went off.

Fished next to him last night. I watched him bait up

He put two full size velvets on a large hook 6 or 7o by the look of it. He got a bite straight away, hit it and his rod snapped. He was still casting as far as me with his rod held together with electriceans tape. I think the white worm helped me catch last night. The fish definately took the bottom hook both times.

I think certain baits work in certain places at certain times of year. We know velvets work well where I fished last night but just look at what you did to me that night you caught 16 pound on hermit's. Im starting to think velvets work well early and late season.

jaffa and wurzel if that fisheries well managed fair enough.

but even my local sfc admitted fish size was down when the quotas were being decided.

the bigger fish,and by this i mean 5lb plus just arent there any more in numbers.

some local marks always used to turn good fish up but a 6 lber is a good fish now.

as for the bait thing i lost my entire stock one year when i was away on holiday,i nearly cried when i got home.now it goes on holiday itself to someone elses freezer.

100 velvet peelers? I'd be in tears.

Congratulations @spring@, sounds a good result if these guys are all as serious as you :)

BigCod, I don't like the sound of trawlers with 2k pots, how on earth can they work that much gear? More to the point where are they working it? inshore or moving off? What do the other creel boats make of it? You'd imagined they are worried?

Hi maximo, it was only the pelagic fishery for species like herring and mackeral, that I meant by well managed. I don't think many people would dispute that. Demersal species like cod etc is a different story, whether you blame the climate or overfishing, think its overfished or not, I think most people accept its management is a disaster.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

what do you pro commercial guys think of all the inshore netting and lining that goes on,i mean the lads putting nets out close in and above the low tide line for a bit of beer money,and putting lines out .i know one individual who has a line out every tide all summer.

if a licence was fetched in would these be affected in any way.

Hi maximo, sorry but I have no real experience of that. There used to be a problem with salmon poaching but thats pretty much died out now.

Monofilament nets have been banned up here in Scotland for years anyway; even the commercials can't use them. In fact they can't even carry them in Scottish inshore waters either.

It clearly causes a lot of bad feeling down south though and Im not surprised. How bad is the problem in England and Wales? and is it mostly for "beer money" or are there commercial guys netting beaches too?

Just glad it never took off up here.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Maximo

If the various sea fisheries committies really wanted to they could bring in rules that prohibited the kind of fishing that you describe. They could also restrict part time fishermen to the type of net used and also to the length of net permissable.

Similaly the same rules can also be applied to all the part time potters that also fish.

In our area part time fishermen are only allowed 10 pots and can only land a maximum of two lobsters in any one day all enforceable by law. All potters have to be registered to catch shellfish.

If that can be done here then it can also be done elsewhere. The thing to remember here is that all those part timers who fish throughout our shores also have full time jobs elsewhere and only put their gear out in any quantity whenever fish or lobsters show in any numbers and due to the fact that they can afford the best of gear due to their full time jobs then the catch to gear ratio is very very good.

It will come in time where part time fishing (not recreational) will be phased out and the only people to be able to make money from the sea will be those who are licenced and full time. If that happened then it may well happen that recreational fishing areas will be easier to obtain and manage and total exclusion orders may well come into play.