COD BAN

bigfish

Don't the Icelandic fleet have a system in their waters, whereby the fishing grounds are broken up into different areas and the size and yield of fish caught is monitored. As soon as yields fall below a certain level, or, average fish size falls below the limit, that area is closed to fishing for a period determined by the authorities and fishing only resumes when the stocks are back within limits. I seem to remember reading that this was proving to be a highly effective way of managing fish stocks. Isn't this the kind of idea that we should be looking at?

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

jabee.

Hello to you.

Yes, the Icelanders have a consevation system based on blocks of their waters, whereby when catches fall below a set level, all fishing is banned in that block. The main difference in the UK is? Fishing is still allowed in the area, but cod will not be allowed to be landed!! They will still be caught, but will either be thrown over the side as `discards`. Or more likely. Will lead to skippers steaming off to meet another boat and swap a couple of dozen boxes of cod for something they can land?

I can`t blame the commercial lads for exploiting loop-holes. They have mortgages to pay and famillies to feed.

It`s the gutless politicians that will eventually have to carry the can? But what party will you vote for next election? Green party? They seem to be the only mob that care. But how many votes will they get come the next election?

`Cos you`ll also be voting for massive increases in petrol duty. No GM crops. An end to hunting, shooting and fishing?

There`s an old saying. `Never vote for your best mate. He may turn into your worst enemy`.

I don`t know the answer. Wish I did.

Just keep sounding off to your MP and Euro MP. They`ll have to listen one day.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

check this

http://www.business.scotsman.com/agricultu...m?id=1160852003

it still amazes me that they can still think they can go out and catch more , when are they going to take responsibility and say yes we have overfished instead of trying to pass the buck .what legacy are they going to leave

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith