Help needed using a margin pole

rarepleasures

rarepleasures.

Not allways as stated on that page.

I could show you a margin pole that is fished without elastic, super strong.

I can also show you whips that have elastic fitted.

Thats not how I understand it.

Difference between a pole and a whip

A pole is fitted with an internal elastic which cushions the fight of the fish, whereas with a whip there is no elastic and the rig is simply attached to the fine tip.

Whips are usually telescopic with maybe one or two 'put over' sections at the butt end, whereas poles usually have a telescopic top two or three.. sections into which the elastic goes, with the rest being 'put-over' sections. Poles are generally 10 metres long or more, whereas whips are generally seven metres long or less.

John Cayless

www.anglingconcepts.co.uk/

Team SPRO/Cralusso

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rarepleasures.

Not allways as stated on that page.

I could show you a margin pole that is fished without elastic, super strong.

I can also show you whips that have elastic fitted.

I must say I've never seen a pole described without elastic rating. But then pole/whip fishing is new to me.

The fact that most whips can also be elasticated was the reason I assumed the terms were almost interchangeable.

If you search the forum you certainly find mention of take-a-part whips and conversely telescopic poles.

Tony

No need for me to search the forum, I sell tackle to the trade for a living.

I must say I've never seen a pole described without elastic rating. But then pole/whip fishing is new to me.

The fact that most whips can also be elasticated was the reason I assumed the terms were almost interchangeable.

If you search the forum you certainly find mention of take-a-part whips and conversely telescopic poles.

John Cayless

Team SPRO/Cralusso

Barbless hooks.

Stronger elastic...I have no idea what "red" is, but at least a No12/14.

Keep the pressure upwards...worked for me with fish to 18lbs +

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

They are designed for different types of fishing, I would NEVER tell somebody to use a telescopic whip to fish the margins, It is NOT designed to do that.Its all about the design limitations of the product, not a marketing term !!!

Which one could argue makes it a just a marketing term.
Do you have a margin pole you'd recommend then ?
Spro Carpology Pro, 9.5m long comes with a spare top 4.

John Cayless

Team SPRO/Cralusso

They are designed for different types of fishing, I would NEVER tell somebody to use a telescopic whip to fish the margins, It is NOT designed to do that.

Sorry to sound obtuse but at only 3m-5m long where exactly are you supposed to fish a whip of that length ?

Spro Carpology Pro, 9.5m long comes with a spare top 4.

Certainly look nice from the SPRO product catalogue. Are they suitable for all round match/course/pleasure fishing ?

Tony

A whip is really designed for fishing to hand, so if it is 5m long your rig shoud be about 4.5m - 5m long, you can generally fish anywhere with it. I would only use a whip for catching silver fish.

The Carpology Pro is a out and out bagging pole for large fish, allways gives me pleasure to get a lump from the margins.

Sorry to sound obtuse but at only 3m-5m long where exactly are you supposed to fish a whip of that length ?

Certainly look nice from the SPRO product catalogue. Are they suitable for all round match/course/pleasure fishing ?

Edited by JMCLincoln

John Cayless

Team SPRO/Cralusso

Just to throw a spanner in the works a bit here, I used to use a Daiwa Yank'n'Bank margin pole in an effort to haul out the odd large lump towards the end of a match but found that on my club water I was still losing large fish on red hydro or 20's elastic - even with the correct set up. The solution I use now is a carp rod (2 1/4 t.c.) rigged up with a pole float just flicked out past rod length.

May seem a bit brutish but I've lost too many big carp in the lillies and this seems to give me a bit of extra strength to haul them out. Since then i've landed a higher percentage of big fish hooked close to margins and not once have I lost one due to the lillies.

On the subject of whips and poles - I have seen take apart whips and telescopic poles and I've seen whips with elastics in them and I've seen whips over 7m in length, the main difference is in their intended use and one thing for certain is I would not attempt to fish the margins for bonus fish with a whip. Much better to use a dedicated margin or carp pole. I tend to use whips on the canal, fishing to hand for small silvers