Ascension Island

Socksy Squirrel

Company I work for just finished a construction contract out there (although I didn't go out myself).

Apparently, light shore gear or spinning gear is required. Lots of areas out of bounds at various times of year for wildlife (birds/turtles etc) but there are plenty of people stationed there who are happy to show visiting contractors the marks.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

went recently, en route to the falklands, fishing is supposed to be great, as jabee said, spinning gear is best, and the wildlife isnt the only reason places are out of bounds, the CIA have a huge listening base there, spying on most of the world. though the fishing is good, not sure its good enough to warrant a trip there!

Big Game fishing at Ascension Island for billfish, tuna, shark etc is of the highest order, unfortunately it is not cheap. There are a number of quality boats now based there, top skipper this year was Roddy Hayes ex Madeira and Midway Island. Roddy is a channel islander, I fished with him many years ago on Guernsey.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Ascension Islands - Fishing?? The two phrases were made with the sole intention of complementing each other!!

I fished from the ship for several nights on the way down south in 1982 and the number of species and the quality of the fish was absolutely tremendous!! The floating pontoons on which we came ashore were used by the locals for catching shrks at all times!! They were using small tuna for bait and apparently there were no shortage of takers!!

The fish we had were small. But nonetheless were game little buggers!! Tuna, snapper, triggers (Usually small black ones!!)Moray eels. But when you got a bait down they were a LOT bigger and I have never seen such a small fish put a healthy bend in a 50lb class rod!! One fish was 11.5 Lb and took two of us over 20 minutes to land and I was totally convinced I had a large shark on!! FAN bloody TASTIC!! is the only way I can describe the fishing! The beaches are not bad either!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))