Feeder/float rig

lutra

a baitdropper perhaps???

Thanks mj, but I cant afford the feeders this peg eats so i think that rules out a baitdropper.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lutra, I don't think the Middy float would stand up too well in a flow, simply because it's basically a waggler. Your idea in the drawing would work I think but you can buy other versions of feeder floats (bodied) more suitable for river work.

Thanks for that Andy, I'm not sure i think the feeder float is the way to go, but if i change my mind i will have a better look around.

You could add gravel to the sticky mag as well. That may add distance and get the maggots down a little quicker in the flow. A bowl of water to clean your hands is useful when using stcky mag.

Edited by Waveney One

Its probably a stupid idea but how about a handful of maggots along with a stone or two in a PVA bag. Use another rod to cast this out to loose feed the area or just attach the bag to your hookbait and cast it. The stone will add some weight, be completely free when you lose it (unless it has any sentimental value) and will get your bait where you want it.

I should imagine that the faster flowing water of a river may help to dissolve the PVA bag a little quicker than a stillwater.

If you do try this then use a fine mesh bag overwise the maggots will get out of a larger mesh.

When you cast a PVA bag the aerodynamics are different and you may end up casting a full bag of maggots where you dont want them to land. To make sure you hit the right spot first time out then put a weight on the line of the rod you'll be using but not a hook. Cast to where you want it and when you have the right spot use the line clip.

Perhaps continue to ledger but make some stone weights that were discussed on another topic here, that way it doesnt hit the bank balance too hard. ;)

You could add gravel to the sticky mag as well. That may add distance and get the maggots down a little quicker in the flow. A bowl of water to clean your hands is useful when using stcky mag.

Thanks for that waveney, the prospect of horlicks flavored maggot roll ups was worrying me a bit. :)

Its probably a stupid idea but how about a handful of maggots along with a stone or two in a PVA bag. Use another rod to cast this out to loose feed the area or just attach the bag to your hookbait and cast it. The stone will add some weight, be completely free when you lose it (unless it has any sentimental value) and will get your bait where you want it.

I should imagine that the faster flowing water of a river may help to dissolve the PVA bag a little quicker than a stillwater.

If you do try this then use a fine mesh bag overwise the maggots will get out of a larger mesh.

When you cast a PVA bag the aerodynamics are different and you may end up casting a full bag of maggots where you dont want them to land. To make sure you hit the right spot first time out then put a weight on the line of the rod you'll be using but not a hook. Cast to where you want it and when you have the right spot use the line clip.

Perhaps continue to ledger but make some stone weights that were discussed on another topic here, that way it doesnt hit the bank balance too hard. ;)

Stupid? Sounds like good sense to me and another one worth giving a go if i can get some mesh with small enough holes.

Stupid? Sounds like good sense to me and another one worth giving a go if i can get some mesh with small enough holes.

Couldn't you use the little plastic bag looking types with no holes in them ?

An, interesting thread but I don't quite understand what the swim is like. How fast is the flow? And is the 40 yds basically downstream?

Its a deepish hole (10 footish) on a slow bend, steep wooded under cut bank on the other side of the river which is about 50yrds across. The pool is about 120-150yrds long with a fast walking pace flow in and out of it slowing to a slow walking pace in the middle. The flow and the chub favor the far side which is full of snags (big rocks and fallen trees). Ive had a number of good chub out over 5lb but lost loads of gear trying and never really been able to fish the far bank as its just rig lost every time. If i can find a way I'm sure that 6 is waiting. :)

Couldn't you use the little plastic bag looking types with no holes in them ?

Wouldn't they need a brick in them if they didn't have lots of holes to help them sink fast?