FAO Socksy - re Jersey Fishery

guernseybass

Cheers for clearing this up for me- reckopn the nboy Syvret would be as good a bet as anyone to raise this in the States.

Mark- as a fellow member of BASS, I fully support your proposals, but would like to see a little increase in the MLS- this may happen incidentally if we get a closed season.

Would ideally like us to have similar legislation to the Irish, but guess tourism in the islands is not fully being considered here.

B.A.S.S. member

Grant:

Bit late on this one, but it has raised a couple of interesting points:

- Does Guernsey have a closed season for bass, or is this a proposal?

- I thought French boats could fish in Jersey waters? Not that I support this.

- Does anyone have a reasonably succint on the proposals that will affect CI fishing?

Cheers

G

Closed season - see Guernseybass' reply above.

French boats - this is all to do with the bay of Granville agreement, I think some French and Jersey boats are allowed in each others waters. French boats are allowed inside Guernsey's 6-12 area due to historical rights. Certain methods are allowed including Demersal (bottom) trawling. I believe that even with the new Guernsey licensing scheme the French are still allowed in even if the UK and Jersey aren't. :( . It only used to be St. Malo boats that fished in Guernsey waters, but recent years have seen boats from as far away as St. Nazaire coming up to hammer the bass and bream.

I believe the only way to exclude the french is to extend territorial limits up to 12 miles instead of the current 3 miles. The authorities are reluctant to do this I think because they would then be responsible for cleaning up any pollution & dangerous wrecks in this area.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Grant:

Mark- as a fellow member of BASS, I fully support your proposals, but would like to see a little increase in the MLS- this may happen incidentally if we get a closed season.

Would ideally like us to have similar legislation to the Irish, but guess tourism in the islands is not fully being considered here.

Grant - sorry, we also propose the bass MLS of 40cm.

It is Tourism we are meeting soon - our propose boycott has worried them :D

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

yup, Guernsey Commerce & Tourism.

The boycott was proposed in the petition - online at www.saveourbass.com loads of Jersey, UK and french anglers have signed it.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "