Priest

FearTheHands

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old handle from a machine that sheared off, don't have any idea what machine it was though, all I know is that it's about 8" long, metal with a large plastic end that I hold... seems to do the job.

David

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

I often wonder why do we actually need to bludgeon the fish we keep. It sometimes damages them which can be very off putting to non anglers and ammo for antis.

I am sure we have agreed several times that fish do not feel pain, so what's wrong with leaving them to die naturally out of the water?

If your keeping the fish a quick despatch seems only right.

As for 'spooning', with the large salmon priest / spoon I have I spoon many sea fish as well (after a tap!) and very interesting stuff you find in 'em to!

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

quote:

I am sure we have agreed several times that fish do not feel pain, so what's wrong with leaving them to die naturally out of the water?
You've agreed that with who ? :confused:

The general consensus on these forums appears to be that any living creature should be treated with respect & either returned unharmed or given a swift pain free exit.

Perhaps a fish flapping around suffocating for 5 minutes might appear more palatable to you & seem less cruel to passers by, but my main concern is that of causing a fish as little stress as possible.

Done properly a fish doesn't have to be bludgeoned to death, a quick sharp tap on the head will see it off & this can be done discreetly out of sight of those who might be offended.

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

I agree Tog and was somewhat playing devil's advocate.

However when on our regular summer hols in Cornwall, I have witnessed several tourist anglers with no idea how to kill fish. Instead they make a right mess in front of families with small kids trying to smash the fishes' brains out on the railings or slicing off their heads.

If I can, I try and intervene and do the job properly for them.

quote:

You've agreed that with who ?
To be honest I haven't actually agreed with anyone on this issue. However there have been several threads discussing whether or not fish feel pain, and I think I am right in saying that the majority view is that they do not.

But see my previous post. I personally will kill fish I am going to keep and even take this to the stage of dispatching mackerel when on a pleasure boat trip with my family. This seems to go down well with the other passengers usually too!

[ 27. November 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Try hitting it with a Sunderland supporter. They are quite dense so should do the job.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

9-12 inches of broom handle or similar. Wrap a 6" length of 2" wide lead flashing (used to find it on church roofs but not any more :-)) around the handle at one end. Drop of glue and a couple of galvonised nails to hold it in place and bingo! the perfect priest.

I also use mine to mash up chum in a bucket.

An example of how not to do it (trouty related, but...)

In my very young days of fishing, my grandparents took me to a trout fish farm which allowed fishing to boot. No skill required and as I was lacking in understanding at that stage to catch anything with the remotest bit of fishy sense (nothing changes... :rolleyes: ), they thought at least to take me somewhere where I could catch something.

I was only 10, but was still sickened watching a lady 'dispatch' a trout with a stiletto heel.

I use a salmon priest for sea fishing. It very rarely sees the light of day. Darn big fish still too clever for Westie. :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery