your earliest memory of fishing

Andy_1984

I,d just started high school and got friendly with a lad who asked me if i wanted to go fishing."fishing?it's boring" i said...I did end up going a few days later though and with some borrowed tackle and my friends help i managed to catch 2 or 3 small perch..i absolutely loved it and returning home from my first trip my dad said to me "i bet i know what you want for christmas"..He was right and about 3 weeks later i was unwrapping a shakespeare strike float rod an abu cardinal 40 reel along with some hooks line and a selection of peacock quills..Happy days

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Tinca but hope that "pioneering" is relevant and that the guy going out on his first couple of trips to his local commercial with his carbon pole and pellets feels that same feeling as we did then.

That's a fair point Budgie and perhaps pioneering is the wrong word to use, as anyone doing something for the first time is delving into the unknown. Perhaps a better explanation is that compaired to what is instantly available today, a good deal of thought had to be put into what you did, what you used and how you applied it. There was very little to refer to and if you discovered something good you tended to keep it to yourself. The early days of specimen hunting is a classic example where all sorts of strokes were pulled and false trails laid. However having said that I still think at times certainly for myself that it was the most enjoyable period.

Exactly how Ive always felt but even now it must still be a very exciting time taking those first steps.Kind of envy new guys just starting out.Miss that magic.Also extremely in awe of the not so new guys like Den that have been able to keep it all these years.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Exactly how Ive always felt but even now it must still be a very exciting time taking those first steps.Kind of envy new guys just starting out.Miss that magic.Also extremely in awe of the not so new guys like Den that have been able to keep it all these years.

Yes, but by reading your many posts, isn't some of that magic now replaced by passing on your experience to others and seeing it work for them. A very rewarding experience. Fishing will always bring up new challenges and to me the hardest part is that sometimes it is difficult to change the habits of a lifetime.

Yes, but by reading your many posts, isn't some of that magic now replaced by passing on your experience to others and seeing it work for them. A very rewarding experience. Fishing will always bring up new challenges and to me the hardest part is that sometimes it is difficult to change the habits of a lifetime.

Thats really astute of you mate.

When guiding I found that the buzz of seeing some one else catch their first 100lbr was nealy as good as the buzz I had long since lost.Certainly had a lot longer life expectancey as it was there for every new person.

Love seeing young or old smiling when they are confident in handling a pike as well.

Fishing for me is still important its just changed a bit!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I cant remember my first fishing trip or even my first fish, it just seems to have been something Ive always done. Right from an early age (5-6ish) i had a big brother that was into fishing and i just tagged along. My dad had been into fish in his younger years and despite him never taking me or my brother we did have some tackle to use, which was mostly claimed by big brother. At the age of 7 we moved to the countryside with lots of local ponds and a brook that was full of minnows. That Christmas was a great one, new Boyo reel, The Observer Book of Freshwater Fish and some money which got me a 6ft red spinning rod. Around that time i teamed up with a couple of mates that were just as mad on fishing and i was hooked. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

This brings back some fond memories.

I’ll never forget my first fishing trip. A friend and I made a handline from a ball of string and a 6 inch length of broomhandle tied to the end….painted bright red. Split shot was a number of old nuts tied to the string. We tried a bent nail for the hook but had to concede that we’d need the proper gear so my friend was despatched the local tackle shop with instructions to buy hooks. He came back with size 5 which were still too small for our string so we fashioned a hooklength from fusewire.

After a bit of digging around for some woodlice off we went to the local park where, to our amazement, there was nobody fishing. All of the swims where the ‘experts’ fished were available, we couldn’t believe our luck. A few false starts later we managed to lob our handline about 5 yards out and then we waited expectantly.

After 10 minutes we couldn’t understand why we hadn’t caught anything but thought the approaching park keeper might be able to offer some advice. He did, don’t fish without a licence and don’t fish during the close season.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Having grown up in a household that fished was indeed a Blessing for me. My mother and father fished along with most of my immediate relatives! This in itself was almost made a tradition within the Hopkins family that I continued. Today, with the children as it may, all grown up is much different. I spend most of my time alone or with other mates. I still Enjoy the oppertunity to fish with my aunt who is 79yr. young and remains an avid fisherwoman. I can now look forward to sharing what was taught to me to my Grand-kids. Sharing my knowledge with others while on the shoreline is always a Pleasure that I relish! I Happily give small tackle to someone who doesn't have sufficient hooks or lead when they break-off. I also explain to them why I use the methods that I employ. This gives me a feeling of Joy to Share this small bit of what was given to me by my family members and others that I have learned from. Seeing these anglers catch fish after they have made these changes is a Rush for me and this Helps to further the SPORT of Fishing. Now that Colder weather has set in, fewer people are on the shoreline, but I am still Enjoying what was Given to me by my Teachers. The Family and I say Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

HOPPY