Ban sea angling for a year?

stavey

What do you lot feel about licenses for Sea Angling ?

I read that the system in America works quite well. At least that way there might be the political and financial clout from such a potentially large pool of 'contributors' for the research into and regulation of stocks etc.

DON'T PANIC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they introduce a licence for sea fishing it would never work it would be inpossible no one would buy one as theres no way they would get caught there to many rivers and coast line to cover to check people also people would put out nets is that fishing ?? depends which way you look at it. i feel netting and other such ways is why there is the problem we have

looking at it in the real world theres not alot we can do as if we stopped say fishing on shores and off boats people will still trawl as it money to be had in it

Honest,

Those fishing rivers for freshwater species and lakes and ponds do currently need a licence.

(and there's far, far more freshwater bankside than there is coastline!)

The current proposal is for a rod licence, and the government acknowledges that a licence would not be acceptable without something substantial in return that would improve sea fishing in the UK.

Ar the moment anyone can (and many do) put out nets to catch sea fish for their 'own' consumption (it only becomes illegal if you use a powered boat then sell the fish).

Richard B.

Try searching this forum for 'licence'.

You'll find there has been an immense amount of debate of the issue on here already.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Moving away from the 'years ban' idea, I actually think that a sea fishing licence could be a good idea.

For consider, as has already been said, the revenue gained by the government would result in them HAVING to listen to the voice of us sea angler, esspecially at times such as these regarding the Tope for example.

I participate in all types of angling and with my Coarse and Game angling I obviously need a licence. This cost £63.75 if you wish to fish for mogratory fish such as Salmon.

There are some 4 million registered and licenced coarse/game anglers, all paying for the right to fish, but it doesn't stop there.

For firstly these anglers have the massive backing of the EA who provide them with their licence. And second of all, they have huge organisations and angling local MPs who clearly make the voice of angling heard in parliment.

I suppose what I am getting at is that everything has a price, and if the cost of the sea angler having his voice heard is £24.00 a year then wouldn't you go for it?

It is very difficult to actively campaign with financial backing. I understand there is somewhere in the region of 10 million sea anglers. Well, if each of us buys a licence, at the cost of £24.00 for exmple, then we will instantly have £240 million pounds worth of clout...

OK, I know it's not anywhere near as simple as that. But the fact that the government would take a large slice of that revenue would mean that they would have to listen to us. In resepct of this we would have the financial means to form a massive sea angling governing body which would be able to represent us all....?

I can't fully get what is in my head onto this thread, but I'm sure you see what I am getting at... :confused:

Cheers,

jeff

[ 23. June 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: JeffB ]

jeff, in the past twelve months i have fished on average 2-3 times a week in club comps fish-ins and just pleasure off my local beach either way it equates to well over 100 trips each trip was for atleast 3 or more hours = over 300hrs, in all this time my biggest fish weighed in at 3.5lbs this was a smoothound caught only last week, i caught no cod at all not even undersized, infact only one was caught out of our 24 club comps in all, the other fish eg, whiting/pout/dab/etc i did catch where all under 1lb in weight and again mostly undersized, do you think i am going to pay 24 quid for this? is this what you would call value? i have spent more than enough as it is on tackle bait etc. imagine how many course fishing people would put up with that as value? not many i think and how would they feel if some one came along and trawled all of their carp up from their local duck pond, it is silly to compare the two. they are worlds apart, no, no licence money from me even though i had given this a lot of thought before some time ago, about the weight it might carry towards our arguements, but not now thank you.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

OK, you don't like my proposal and say that I am silly to compare different types of angling.

However, there is one important thing your message lacks... any other possible options!

It's all well and good of you to say all your NO NO NO's but where is you method of resolution???

You are not being constructive at all...

Oh I forgot, you want to frighten everybody into boycotting fish which is NEVER going to happen.... Enough said there I think.

[ 23. June 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: JeffB ]

Hi Stavey

Surprisingly over a million did and this is why course fishing is so good now.

Many rivers and lakes were were in a poor state from all sorts of pollution.

You also have to consider that they were already paying for permits and club memberships.

But now they have a legitimate shout with a good deal of weight and that in part is what has established such a good fresh water situation.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist