Romantic Cod and Fish Populations?

101_North

thurso angler:

and yes i understand that in certain opinions it is not a sustainable industry, but i urge you to look at the bigger picture and see that given the chance it could be, and perhaps its down to the decision makers to stand up and be counted.

The tragedy is that if the North Sea cod could be restored to the spawning biomass that it was, not so many years ago, a sustainable harvest of more than the North Sea now contains, could be taken every year!

The problem is the same as having money in the bank, and living off the interest.

You can do that forever, so long as your withdrawals are confined to the interest generated.

But start taking out more than the interest being generated, eating away at the capital.

Pretty soon the amount of interest generated is reducing exponentially, and the capital reduces to a point where the fortune can never be regenerated in a sensible timescale, even if nothing more is taken out.

That's what we have done to cod.

That's what we are doing to other species.

It could all have been so very different.

It may not be late to turn it around, but we've got to give that capital a chance to grow. pretty hard when you are used to spending so much.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@winter@:

I dont consider it spoilt Thurso, I just put in my point of view in the only way I know how. Those are my feelings and I stick by every word of them. It is my feeling that dancing around an issue with polite words and pleasant discussion brings no change whatsoever. Just because I lowered my tone a little within this forum so as not to offend some of the good folk here doesnt mean my feeling toward the idiot's in the commercial sector changed at all. When thier greed subsides so will my anger.

What you should have said Winter is:

"What is critical is that each participant in the negotiation and implementation phases of management planning is embedded in a sociocultural matrix from which the primary cognitive mode - a way of perceiving and thinking about the world - is derived. Membership in and an effective affiliation with the group is maintained by articulating its axioms or certain basic, usually unquestioned truths. These are the basic formulas that, if challenged, bring frowns or pitying smirks and charges that the speaker must be "dumb," "asleep at the wheel," or "just plain nuts." Axioms are taken for granted as "right," "rational," and, "it goes without saying." Those who assume that others who, like themselves, possess an expertise in fisheries also assume that these others hold a set of assumptions in common. These are taken as "understood" by all who are "truly knowledgeable', "possessed of common sense."

:)

http://www.fishingnj.org/artchaos.htm

Tight Lines - leon

[ 16. February 2005, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

I've got a meeting in London tomorrow.

DEFRA

Fisheries Scientist

Fishing Industry Leaders

NGOs

etc

All around a table.

I'm gonna have trouble keeping a straight face now :)

Tight Lines - leon

(Mind you I might be taken down from the lobby into the basement and have my legs broken first, if certain people have been following this thread - as the do sometimes! )

[ 16. February 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Guest jay_con

Are the nffo there?

i notice theyeve been busy of late. Lots of articles in the fishing news about how global warming is to blame and not the fishermen. At least the seals are off the hook for the time being.