Romantic Cod and Fish Populations?

101_North

Guest jay_con

Not driven to extinction yet jaffa - Perhaps. But soon ? yes im pretty certain of that. If something doesnt change then it isnt long in coming. Even the trawlermen here are complaining about the lack of fish on the quiet.

As for the eu. IMO if they had enforced the quota system there is enough legislation within to make a difference. I dont beleive they got the policy really wrong (admittedly it has it's bad points), they just failed to enforce it heavily enough to make it work.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

well - it's good to here that- I like to here some thing positive now and again. I hope things do improve. I just really struggle to see how. Everyday I drive up the cliff front and within 2 mile from the shore I see pair team after pair team ploughing the same ground day in day out, All the boats here are 59.5 foot long so can trawl as close as they wish. How can anything survive this, it never gets a rest.

Local control over local grounds. Those boats do no one good fishing there.

It was the same here but better lately as they mostly seem to have bankrupted themselves and now we have a marina . It was goverment rules and regulations that took them there though, if they don't change the same thing will happen again sometime.

You regret the damage to fishstocks, i also regret the loss of a sustainable fishing fleet. It was soviet style management that did it imo while you blame greed. Consider which is the more open to being changed?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

the mentality of some of the trawlermen is astonishing the majority of the the boats were single trawling up until about 5 years ago winter time they fished well in murky water summer time had it hard at times till the herrings spawned and bingo slaughter,then suddenley the cod fishing started to drop off a bit, the single trawl thank the lord usually lets quite a lot of fish escape hopefully to spawn,then suddenley a couple of boats went pair trawling they were hammering the cod, all you herd on the fish key its knee deep with fish, 8-1 catch rate against a single trawler but they didnt grasp they were more or less catching everything with the pair trawl i sometimes wonder just how dense some of these people really are

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

As you have experienced though jaffa. Greed will bring bankrupcy. Not just for the trawlers but for the longliners, the rod fishermen, and the charter men like Big cod. Surely this is no way to carry on. Why should honest hard working men be put out of work because of the greed of a few? Its time the powers that be stepped in to stop what is happening. In a strange way I think they are actually trying to do something. It appears quota are slightly more enforced than they once were, fishermen are being fined heavily for breaking the rules. The introduction of allocated landing times for smaller vessels has in theory helped defra keep a check on what is happening, Next year sees some law changes on tracking food from its origin to the supermarket counter. I feel the screws are tightening a little.

There is enough legislation in the eu policies to make a difference, we just need to get them to enforce it, That way even greed doesnt have a chance.

been told today to stop advertizing any decent catches of cod as certain alements in the commercial sector ar looking at advertizements to say anglers are taking to much fish, what aload of ******** they dump more in numbers of fish in one month than we take in one year,its the same old story anglers are doing damage

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Thing is BC They can easily make it look this way.

Ive said it before, they will do anything to create a smoke screen so that thier activities go unnoticed. We should be presenting the evidence of whet they do back to the magazines and websites they use to put out this propaganda, There are thousands of articles all other the net about huge discards, you could easily put these to good use. Everytime we see and here such bull **** we should respond rather than bleeting on in here. Fight fire with fire is my motto, stop these idiots from hoodwinking the public and the authorities in charge of fishing.