Kayak Rigging

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Simon (sorry im slow with the name thing, still call Neville Salar and Bill YY), I would'nt use a wetsuit top unless its sleeveless; it kills you after no time paddeling.

Your sensible to worry about immersion but IME falling off (unless in the surf zone) is rare; i've still not managed it in 3 years.... Guess its all weighing up the risks but anything which resticts your ability to paddle is a bad idea.

I use a 8mm farmer john (because i already owned it :) ), wetsuit boots and a cheap dry cag but so far i've only fished in the summer. The coldwater Americans seem to favour neoprene chest waders and a dry cag, which looks a good combination.

Think this is something we all need to help work out, there have certainly been a few days this winter I could have taken the yak out with the right gear.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaffa thanks for the advice.. nothing beats experience and when it comes to paddling time I have none!

So going from what you are saying if I were to wear a cag on top of the 3mm Farmer Johns do you think I would be ok -- I guess if I do go in the chances are it will only be for a few seconds whilst I haul myself back on.

Itching to get out and have my first paddle but dont want to kill myself in the process :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I think a 3mm and a cag would be fine in the summer but not enough for fishing at this time of year; sea temperatures are at the lowest now, must be down to 7 or 8 oc even down your way :( .

For winter/early spring I'd add the neoprene hood, gloves, a sleeveless wetsuit top or even a breathable drysuit, and would not venture very far at all.

Have you any experience of landing in freezing water?

First thing you MUST do with your yak is practice getting back on it when your out of your depth. If your determined to go this time of year find somewhere safe and sheltered, take a minder with you, and practice reentry until its second nature.

It will also help you learn to deal with cold water shock . Being calm and controlling your breathing is the key - don't be in a rush to scramble out of the water in "seconds" , but take time to calm yourself down and build yourself a reentry routine. Make sure you have warm clothes and a hot drink nearby too! :D

Or, spend a couple of months drilling holes in your yak, nattering on AN and waiting for the warmer weather like the rest of us :D

FWIW, even in the summer I always take a dry bag containing a dry set of clothes and a flask of black coffee.

Simon, couple of good articles on cold weather gear:

www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_...ayak_Articles=9

www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...dWeather.html#4

If you have not already checked these sites out they are well worth a visit; goldmines of info :) . Both also have really friendly and helpful forums.

Cheers, Chris

If you want to practice getting back onto your yak in a safe environment then contact your local canoe club through the BCU, all regionalclubs run canoe safety training in local authority swimming pools. You might not even have to join the club, although the advice and training you'll get will be well worth the few quid it'll cost you for the first year.